PDA

View Full Version here: : Calling Saxon owners

Marko of Oz
15-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Howdy all from Rockhampton.
After searching the forums it seems there are quite a few happy Saxon dob owners. I'm wondering if I will be just as happy/impressed if I buy a 10" Saxon on an eq mount like this one at Space and Astronomy. http://www.spaceandastronomy.com.au/saxon-250mm-reflector-telescope.htm
Is this ota essentially the same as the dob version from Saxon?

thanks

Mark

janoskiss
15-03-2007, 12:46 AM
The OTA is the same as on the dobbie. I recommend you buy the Dob, and the EQ mount separately. A Dob mount is great to have for visual observing.

Marko of Oz
15-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I've considered buying a dob first, but I really want to get into webcam imaging. I realise this can be done with a dob also but I like the idea of tracking with dual axis drives. Call me lazy. Why walk when you can drive :D

Buying a dob version and eq mount separately is a good idea but blows the budget out a bit further.

thanks

netwolf
15-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi Mark,

If its a 10" dob you will need at the very least a EQ6. The link you provide does not mention what kind of mount its aside from it being a Heavy Duty one, which may be a HEQ5.

Regards

Marko of Oz
15-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I take it back, after shopping around it seems I can get a 10" dob together with a skywatcher HEQ5 mount for less than I was originally looking at.

The Skywatcher HEQ5 can handle upto 15kg easily I'm told and the OTA weighs in at 13.8kg.

I must shop around some more.

cheers

Mark

netwolf
16-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Mark, the rule of thumb from the postings I have read seems to indicate that for imaging you only load the mount with half its capacity. But I would assume this is more for DSO work than solar system objects. Also you will need capacity for other accessories that you might add, such as a guide scope etc.

Regards

anthony2302749
16-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi

I need to correct you on some of your figure in regards to the carrying capacity of the HEQ5. While you have stated that it can handle up to 15kg, in practice the HEQ5 can only handle about 10 to 13kg. You do not want to compromise the performance of the mount as a whole by over loading it.
If you wish to use such a mount for planetary imaging then put an 8” SCT (8.6Kg) on it. This way you will get the maximum performance with out the hassle of over loading the drive, bearing etc.

As for the weight of the Saxon/Skywatcher/Celestron 10” Newt (Yes, they are all the same, and are manufacture by Synta) I have weight one and it comes in closer to 15Kg. Taking this into account the EQ6 is the most suitable mount with a carrying capacity of 18kg.

Finally I have read a lot of commence on IIS in regards to various carrying capacity of mount particularly the CG5/EQ5 mount. When choosing a mount I would suggest that you ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION. If a mount is rated for 15kg knock 2 to 4kg off this way you will not compromise the performance of the mount and you will have some leeway in what equipment you plan to use on this mount.

P.S. If you keep the focal ratio of your telescope short to moderate the HEQ5/EQ6 work very well for DSO.

Marko of Oz
16-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I like this forum, lots of combined experience and good advice. After reading the above posts and doing some more googling I'm convinced the EQ6 is the way to go.
thanks to all.

astro_nutt
16-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi Mark!..
Yep!!..I'm happy with my Saxon 10" Dob...just a few things you might want to know..please check the scope over from top to bottom unless it has first been checked over by a dealer for any loose fittings etc..and if after a while..(say, 12 months) you might notice a swirly "ghosting" appear of the surface of the primary mirror...don't worry..in comparison with another scope the images are the same..damn good!..and yep..better to be over mounted than under!!
Cheers!