PDA

View Full Version here: : My ideal setup: 25x100 45BTs, 10.5x70s, 80mm refractor and praise for vendors

mercedes_sl1970
14-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi there

Just wanted to have a little ramble - partly to describe my astro reinvigoration and also in praise of several vendors.

I've recently "realigned" my night sky viewing, sold some equipment and over the last little while acquired two binos - the 25 x 100 BT 45° and 10.5x70 MX Ultra. I also have an 80mm f7.5 refractor (2nd hand from AOE). Anyway, having some health problems (which limits my observing time and capacity to handle big scopes) and being more of a casual observer, I think I have reached the "ideal-for-me" arrangement.

Firstly, the 25x100s - these are just superb. These are from from Andrews Comms who were exceptionally helpful and prompt with delivery, etc. Although quite heavy, I have them so that they can be set up within about 1 minute. I have to preface all of my comments by saying that I am not the most critical of observers and still consider myself a novice. That said, the views through these binos are terrific. Having plugged away with single eye viewing for some time, the change to the 25x100s has been almost a revelation - contrast, clarity and so much extra detail! The 45° eyepieces and the mount make viewing so easy and comfortable. It's just a delight to either slowly wander around the sky, stay on a single object or spend time searching. I've also added a pair of 15mm Ultrawides (giving 40x mag) from MyAstroshop which work very well, even though the bino is an F6. Thanks to Steve Massey who has always provided great advice and excellent service. Actually, I would appreciate advice from anyone on how far to push the magnification on these binos. I've tried single 5mm and 9mm Vixen LVs and think that the 9mm (66.6 repeating mag!) may be the maximum useful magnification - eg for solar system? I suspect a 5mm may only be useful for nights of very good seeing?

Now, the 10.5x70s from AOE. Whew - these are excellent binos. The views are very sharp across the field, with great contrast and colour rendition. Interestingly, even though these are quite large and heavy binos, I find that I can handhold these better than a pair of 10x50 binos that I have (possibly due to the inertia of the additional weight?). I like the individual focusers which are just great for setting and forgetting. AOE were excellent to deal with, patient with my repeated queries and provided very prompt service.

Also from AOE last year is the 2nd hand 80mm F7.5 refractor on a telepod mount. The telepod mount is simple and a joy to use (purchased from an IIS member). The scope itself does not have an ED, APO, FPL5734, oil-spaced quadruplet, hand-figured lens made by a 150 year old Germano-Russian optical firm (one day, I hope I will have one!). What it is is an achromat with surprisingly good views. It's also small, easily moved and fun to use.

Soooo, what I am trying to say is that I am a very satisfied and reinvigorated observer who is thoroughly enjoying viewing the night sky. And, at least for the foreseeable future (and my finances), I suspect that I will be staying with this arrangement. Oh yes - no more EQ mounts!! Alt/az is for me!

Andrew

Dennis
14-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi Andrew

You sound like a happy fellow - all those new toys. The views through my big binos at a dark sky site are absolutely stunning, just awesome. The last time I looked through them, I simply drowned in M42 and Eta carina.

Cheers

Dennis

beren
15-03-2007, 09:13 PM
:) Congrats on the equipment , the 25x100's sound great

pvelez
15-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Just bought some 9 x 63 binos myself today - in part inspired by your post. What a fantastic view even from light polluted Sydney.

Pete

mercedes_sl1970
15-03-2007, 11:36 PM
A very happy camper! Except primed for a few hours with the binos tonight and cloud again!.....