PDA

View Full Version here: : Saxon/Skywatcher/Synta Dobs and Argo Navis

Miaplacidus
13-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I have a Skywatcher dob, which uses a tension control handle instead of springs to control altitude movement. I like this system, but one downside (so I assumed) was that it precluded the use of encoders for use with digital setting circles. The Wildcard Innovations web site doesn't advertize a solution to this style of dobsonian telescope.

But recently I received encoders from Gary at Wildcard and an adaptor that allows them to work with my dob. The adaptor is basically a coupling bolt that replaces the handle on the other side of the dob (not the tension control handle). True, it required several turns of thread tape to keep it properly fixed so that it rotates with the OTA, but now it seems to work very well. I tried it out last night and it all seemed to work pretty much as you would expect. :D (It wasn't a perfect night for testing, but everything that I could "push to" wound up pretty close to the middle of the FOV of the eyepiece, and I wasn't even on level ground.)

I thought I would post this in case there are other owners of similar dobs who would like to attach something like and AN, but thought it isn't possible. Email Gary if you're interested.

Cheers,

Brian.