PDA

View Full Version here: : D Battery conversion to mains?

DobDobDob
12-03-2007, 12:45 PM
I searched the forum for past threads about batteries and there were plenty but none that directly addressed my issue.

On my telescope I have clock motor drives for both axis and the controller is powered by 4 x D size batteries. Of course I can just continue to buy and replace batteries or purchase a battery recharger from Jaycar for $60.00, but I was wondering if there was a more permanent solution.

Where I observe from a large concrete area, is close to a garage/office with normal household power. Is there anyway I can modify my power supply and just tap into the house supply, or is that just going to be too strong and melt the whole thing?

Any thoughts?

Garyh
12-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi Ron,
with my eq5, I did away with the D battery holder and bought a 4xAA battery holder and some NiMH (2000ma) from Dicksmith. That way you can give them a quick charge and away you go..done some 4-5 hr runs with no problems.
Stay away from those piggyback unregulated power supplies as they could fry your electronics.. you might be able to pick up a regulated 6 volt transfomer as long as it can handle the full load..something like 1 amp transformer should handle it? but I am not sure of the current draw for this?
Cheers Gary

DobDobDob
12-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Ahhhh that's an idea, I already have an AA & AAA battery charger and didn't want to get a second one, how many battery chargers can one bloke have :P good thinking Gary :thumbsup:

[1ponders]
12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I went down to DS and bought a little dohicky (Techo term) that plugs into either a regulated 12V transformer or a Jumpstarter pack with a ciggie plug. This dohicky has a dial that allows me to change the ouput voltage and comes with a number of different sized adapter plugs for the outlet end. I use it on my EQ3/4 clock drive and it works a dream. It is similar to this http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45f4c07d0c6ae9702740c0a87f9c07aa/Product/View/M9882 but is rated at 2amp output.

DobDobDob
12-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Nice work Paul, that is a solution for under $30.00 - thanks for the lead :thumbsup:

rmcpb
12-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Gary's idea is great if you want to have the ability to work independently of a 240V power supply. I have added a second set of NiMH batteries to my equatorial platform so if one set goes flat then the other can be switched into action by simply flicking a switch. Those NiMH batteries sure carry a lot of charge and are easily handled.

Cheers

DobDobDob
12-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks Rob, an expedition to Dick Smiths is a foregone conclusion now, I'll spend a couple of hours in there looking at lots of different things that will accompany my new found hobby. :thumbsup: