PDA

View Full Version here: : Help! LX200 strange behaviour

rogerg
09-03-2007, 11:28 PM
My faithful LX200 is having problems.

I just turned it on for the first time in a couple of weeks and find the following:

Powers up normally.
Computer connects to LX200 normally.
Tell the LX200 to slew to an object and it will.
RA tracks normally.However! This is where the good news ends.:(

No matter how much, in what speed, I tell the telescope to move (using N/S/E/W keys, or similar motion controls in TheSky on the computer), it doesn't move!

It's strange!

I'm very concerned, partially because this week my internet router strangely died - the ADSL port worked but the LAN ports died. While the LX200 is on a fully filtered & surge protected UPS I am concerned something has fried part of it.

Any ideas to help diagnose the problem?

Thankyou for any help.

:(

h0ughy
10-03-2007, 12:17 AM
sounds like the mother board has had a spike - might not be looking good for you

jase
10-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Firstly, are you using the native "TheSky" telescope drivers or the ASCOM Telescope API integrated with TheSky? In TheSky or the ASCOM POTH (Plain Old Telescope Hub) you can view the serial line communication sequences. Verify your computer is actually sending the LX200 protocol commands and receiving an OK back from the scope.

I'm assuming this worked fine before or is this the first time you've tried it?

rogerg
10-03-2007, 10:02 AM
I have software to monitor RS232 so will do that, thanks.

Yes - I have been using the telescope via the computer (slewing & goto & all the rest) for 5+ years now, with no problem until now.

Thanks

Doug
10-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Roger, while you can't rule out a damaged mother board, it seems unlikely based on what you have reported so far. A cooked H/C on the other hand, well..... A quick test would be to leave the PC disconnected and use the hand controller to move NSEW. You might have done this already, but you do not say so?
luck,
Doug

rogerg
10-03-2007, 10:35 AM
You're right - I hadn't last night. Just now I have. I have unplugged everything except DEC, Power and Hand Controller cables (unplugged autoguider and computer). The result is no different - NSEW keys appear unresponsive but other behaviour seems normal.

Roger.

Doug
10-03-2007, 11:13 AM
With my Classic LX200, while I have never had that particular problem (so far), I do from time to time have a blackout prob wth the H/C. A bit of a slap on the back and it comes good. Obviously a loose connection in there someplace. You might want to take the cover off your H/C and check the connectors in there, else see if you can get a new H/C. Check with Bintel, but there is a fair chance that a replacement board (if available) will not include eprom/s, in which case you will need to tx them over.
Another thing you might like to try would be to use a can of freeze spray and see if you might have a 'dry joint' developed in there

luck,
Doug

nightsky
10-03-2007, 03:58 PM
G'Day Rogerg,
Have you tried this group http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LX200GPS/
you might find some answers there.
Cheers
Arthur

acropolite
10-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Roger, why don't you see if you can read the handbox config using meade's software. Also the comms port on the PC may be cactus, you can test that easily by making a loopback plug and using a terminal program such as hyperterm.

rogerg
10-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Com port on the PC is fine, as using TheSky I can control everything on the telescope except NSEW. To clarify, I have done the following from the PC:
- Park
- Set initialisation params (location, time, zone, etc)
- Goto location
- Sync
- Jog by x degrees/mins/seconds in any NSEW direction

I simply can't "move" in NSEW.

I haven't tried autoguiding but am assuming it won't work, as I expectit uses "move" type functionality not "jog" type functionality. Besides, it's near on impossible to centre an object using Jog - quite teadious.

Roger.

rogerg
10-03-2007, 05:32 PM
I have found this site which mentions one cause for exactly this problem:

http://www.bbcl03736.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/LX200%20Faults.htm

he says:

Symptom:- No N. E. S. W. operation from the handset. Powers up OK, and GoTo works.
Cause:- Usually a fault in U12 which will need replacement. These are supplied by various manufacturers, Lucent and Exilinx being the main source. This failure is probably linked to the hot-plugging scenario with the handset.

I have an email outstanding with him to find out what "U12" component is. If I make more progress with this I'll ask a local guy to help with the fixing I think, I'm ok with soldering but not so good with the kind of detail required for PCB's.

And I have an email outstanding with Don @ Bintel.

Not expecting a reply from either for a couple of days. Hopefully one of them will lead to something.

I have a suspicion I'm going to be wanting a new hand controller. We'll see.

Roger.

rogerg
13-03-2007, 12:05 PM
I have sent the guts of my LX200 to BINTEL. Here's hoping for safe arrival and reasonable turnaround time. :whistle:

The observatory doesn't look so good with the LX lying on it's back on the floor with no electronics inside it.