PDA

View Full Version here: : weight limitations of the HEQ5 pro

Sgtfretsurfer
07-03-2007, 10:59 PM
well recently i bought a heq5 pro mount (with version 3 skyscan) along with a 200mm skywatcher newt. the mount seems handle the ota with ease (although it needed way more counter weight than what was supplied), but im wondering how far i can push it (unfortunately the eq6 just wasnt fiancially feasible). eventually im going to branch into astrophotography (hence why i bought a GEM), and i wondered how other HEQ5 users rate its performance once you add on a dslr, guide scope, etc...
also has any one used a 4.5'' newt as a guidescope? iv got a department store one lying around which isnt getting used at all anymore so i figured it might do till i upgrade. do u think the HEQ5 would handle the weight? (it weighs approx 3kgs)

iceman
08-03-2007, 05:58 AM
Hey there! Welcome to IceInSpace.

The 8" newt on the HEQ5 will be great for planetary and lunar imaging, and you only need a webcam so weight isn't an issue.

For deep-space stuff, I guess it would be ok with a guidescope, DSLR etc, as long as it's balanced correctly.

I've got a 12" newt on an EQ6, and it's right on the weight limit. I won't do DSO photography through the 12" but i'll get an ED80 at some stage which will be perfect for it.

Sgtfretsurfer
08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
thanks mate, well actually an ed80 will be next on my to do list, but iv got to wait until the old money tree becomes more than a stick poking out the ground

ving
08-03-2007, 10:31 AM
i have seen the heq5 with a 10" f5 newt so it should be ok. if you are capable enough make an extention for the counterweight shaft. this will allow you to move your weights down a bit further. :)

ColHut
08-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Please telll me more...

ving
08-03-2007, 01:49 PM
why tell you when i can link (http://ozastro.dyndns.org/cshaft.html) you :)