PDA

View Full Version here: : Nikon DK-21M DK21M Magnifying Eyepiece

rogerg
07-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I thought I would write a few comments on this piece of equipment, having received mine last night.

Reason for purchase: I was frustrated with the image size/magnification through my 350D being so much smaller than the image through my old Pentax SP1000 and EOS 300. In a bid to improve the situation I purchased this piece of equipment.

The DK-21M is made by Nikon but fits fine on the Canon 350D.

The view definitely is magnified, I find the size of the view clearly larger and appears closer as a result. It is easier to see small detail.

The eye guard surrounding the eyepiece is not as nice as the standard one on the 350D. The rubber is hard and it doesn't spread out as wide, so it can be hard to block out surrounding bright lights from being a pain. I find the hard rubber pressing in to the area around my eye a bit uncomfortable too.

The eye relief doesn't seem as good as with the standard canon adaptor. You really have to have your eye right up to it in order to see the full frame. You have to do this anyway to block out surrounding light (problem mentioned above).

Overall I would say the ease of viewing through the eyepiece is not as good as the standard canon one, but the view is larger.

Is it worth it? Unsure at this stage, I will need to get used to it a bit more and test it out more. I'm 50/50 split at this stage. I definitely like the larger size image, but wish they'd put soft rubber around it and wider around it also.

Roger.

Jonathan
14-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Hi Roger,
I got one of these for my D200 a couple of weeks ago and have found it exactly as you've described. It's not as nice to use as the original eyepiece - less eye relief and the hard rubber surround isn't so great. The bigger image is certainly better but I find it harder to see the entire frame, especially the info dispaly with ISO, aperture, f stop etc. that's at the bottom of the frame.

At this stage I think it's a slight improvment over the original, but it's certainly a compromise between ease of use and having a larger view. I also need to test it out more to see if I'll stick with it or not.

I wouldn't recommend it for people that wear glasses because of the limited amount of eye relief.