PDA

View Full Version here: : How do you store your Telescope?

Gravitron
04-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Just what kind of temperatures and out-door conditions can our telescopes survive before diminishing their function?
With the excessive cloud cover that we have been getting over the Sunshine Coast in the last 2 months I have become inpatient for good skies and have been carrying my LXD-75 SN-8 out onto the sundeck and setting up for measly viewing sessions of 20 to 30 mins (hey, it still beats chasing cane toads off the porch:prey2:).
I have started to wonder if it would be a real bad idea to leave the telescope out on the sundeck during the day (covered with a sheet and over that a reflective foil tarpaulin) for one week at a time around new moon. Some of the backyard observatories must get pretty hot inside during the day but I wonder if this has much adverse effect on the OTA or drives. More probably, the repeated exposure to cool nights and dew followed by warm days might cause problems with the drive lube and plastics used in the telescope construction. Once again the Meade manual is not forth coming with advice.
What sort of conditions do you store your telescope in?
Does anyone have long term experience with leaving their telescope outside under a tarp or in a tin observatory?
Here's to short setup times and long starry nights!

-Chris:windy:

iceman
04-03-2007, 05:08 AM
I used to keep my dob out in the open (under a cover) for extended periods, but usually tried to move it in if it was either really hot or really raining.

I reckon observatories would get to 50deg inside on a hot day. I guess they don't get the dew or rain though?

Astroman
04-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Mine is in my shed which can get over 50c haven't noticed any problems yet.

astro_nutt
04-03-2007, 10:47 AM
I've seen a few books in which the author has made a roll-off shed made from varnished plywood, insulated with added ventilation and is bolted to the ground. The scope and mount was covered with a custom-made doona?..

g__day
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I built a 2.1 metre high by 2.4 metre square observatory and keep my gear on a permenant pier - that is now I believe very waterproof.

It probably gets to 40 - 45 degrees on a hot summers day - I just leave the door open on the weekend to let it air.

rmcpb
04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Mine lives in an insulated garden shed on an elevated floor to reduce any build up of humidity. It has vents in the floor and eves to allow free circulation of air to battle humidity and excess heat BUT it still gets really hot on a bad summer day.

The only thing I would worry about with the sheet and tarp combo is that to secure it so it all doesn't blow off would trap some air that would allow humidity buildup AND the problem of the five fingered discount at a walk away price. At least mine is locked up!!

Gravitron
06-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks all for the info and advice. Possibly the high temperatures up to 50 degrees is not so bad but moisture may be the killer. I agree with your concerns Rob, with regard to lack of ventilation under the tarp and it has me thinking of ventilation with a fan as there is a nearby external power point. Luckily we are a bit out of the way for five fingered discount hunters and the dogs may well reduce the number of their digits before they climb up onto the deck:whistle:- but point taken.
-Cheers Chris

leon
06-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi Rob my stuff lives in a total roll away building and is insulated, roof and walls, highest temp recorded inside is 37 degrees.
The cold and freezing conditions have no effect, nor dose the hest.

Cheers Leon

iceman
06-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow, what an awesome setup, Leon! I am supremely jealous!

rmcpb
06-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Leon,

That is the type of setup I would love BUT SWMBO will not let me get the saw out to the trees to make it worthwhile.

Cheers

ving
06-03-2007, 12:31 PM
spare room :)