PDA

View Full Version here: : Sirius Optics EP's

colliedogs
25-02-2007, 04:44 PM
In the March/April edition of "Australian Sky and Telescope", Sirius Optics are advertising EP's described as "FMC 66 degree wide angle eyepieces with 16mm eye relief" in sizes 6, 9, 15, and 20mm sizes for $55.00 each. While is doesn't specify whether 1.25" or 2", I am presuming that they are 1.25".

Does anyone have any experience of these EP's?

I am thinking about the 20mm, to be used in a 150mm diameter Newtonian, 1000mm length - ie just over F6.

I need the longer eye relief, as I have to wear glasses at the telescope.

colliedogs :shrug:

ausastronomer
25-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Hi,

These will be the Orion Expanse series with the SO label. In an F6 scope they are pretty average IMO. FWIW the 20mm is the worst of the lot, but none are great.

The Orion Stratus/Baader Hyperion are clearly the best option for you if you are budget constrained, need long eye relief and a 1/2 decent FOV. Nothing cheaper is even worth considering in an F6 scope, if you expect anything like reasonable performance.

CS-John B

rockit
04-03-2007, 07:05 PM
I would call them a spotting scope ep barlowed. I got the 9mm removed the barlow for another ep and called the main objective spare parts.(Not the resolution I was seeking)Just my oppinion

ghsmith45
12-03-2007, 07:31 PM
My only experience with Sirius eyepieces is a 6mm plossl. Based on that experience, I don't intend to buy any more Sirius eyepieces.
Geoff

fremanwarrior
13-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Awww nuts!

I just bought one of those 9mm ones on the weekend. The guy told me it would be quite an improvement over my GSOs that came stock with my Bintel.

When the clouds go away in Brisbane I guess I'll find out

:-(

janoskiss
13-03-2007, 04:21 PM
The Sirius Plossls are a different EP altogether - nothing to do with the budget widefields sold by Sirius Optics. Short FL plossls will always disappoint because of the short eye relief - IMO plossls are usable down to 9mm, below that it gets very uncomfortable.