PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ6 & SkyScan

Striker
20-04-2005, 06:10 PM
I Just wanted to let everyone know that Bintel are looking to get this mount in and should know by this friday.....

I am awaiting a price and is said to be very competative....

Best price so far from another retailer with SkyScan is $2365...lets see what bintel can do....

frogman
20-04-2005, 06:48 PM
the way i see it i could buy 2 more 12" with that.. ir a few good naglers......

Is the potography side worth the money ???

Anthony

Astroman
20-04-2005, 07:06 PM
From what I have heard is that the EQ6 is quite capable of doing photography, short exposure CCD stuff. Some mounts are better than others, but most are really worth the money, and with a 25kg loading Excellent for the budget minded. Although probably best suited to a visual person with an interest of photography. There are some improvements you can do to enhance it but most work really well out of the box. I haven't got one yet but I have been doing a fair amount of research on the mount as I plan to buy one as soon as I can afford it.

mick pinner
20-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Roger from BATSC here in Melbourne is currently doing research for me on fitting the Argo-Navis system to an EQ6 so l will let you know the results as soon as l get them.

iceman
21-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Roger Davis is a forum member here but he hasn't visited for a long while, or posted anything :(

Mark Hodson has done a lot of reseacrh abotu the EQ6/Skyscan, and there was a thread a little while back about it.. do a search to find more info.

Striker
21-04-2005, 08:05 AM
I am still tossing up importing the Astromecanicca set for the EQ6 from Italy.....very tempting...maybe with the 20% stronger motors...the Meade 12" SCT might be suitable...

mick pinner
21-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Just spoken to Roger at BATSC about the Argo-Navis and EQ6, he can adapt the system and modify the mount to rid it of most of the periodic error for about $200, this will be the first one he's done so the price is only approximate, add this to the price of the Argo-Navis $595.00, and it becomes a pretty attractive package especially when you consider that it is a locally (aust) made product so any problems can be addressed quickly, anyway l'll be the guinea pig on this one but from what Roger has told me when done this could be a good package.

Striker
21-04-2005, 07:17 PM
How long till you get yours Mick.....

From what I have heard I thought Periodic Error isn't a issue if your guiding with a guide scope...?

$595 sounds good.

mick pinner
21-04-2005, 08:28 PM
l have to drop my mount of in about a fortnight but Roger has already told me he is busy at the moment so l have no finishing time, l'm really only playing around at the moment and have no idea what l will put on the mount when it is finished anyway l've got so many scopes at the moment l'm not sure what to do with them, if the new mother board solves the problem of the 12" Meade that will be up for sale,everything in the thing is brand new now so that will be one less to worry about l suppose.

Striker
22-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Anyone want a Brand new EQ6 from Bintel...they are getting them in around 5 days from now..

EQ6 $1300 Bintel

If you want one PM me....I can get one for you for $1190 plus postage.....

With skyscan...my price to you $2200 + Postage.

The Orion 80ED OTA I can do for $600 plus postage....

Plus more........

PM Me.....

Astroman
23-04-2005, 07:16 AM
WOW thats a brilliant price for both GOTO and non GOTO versions. The cheapest I have seen then so far. Do they Lay-by or Rent t buy (seriously) :P

Striker
23-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Andrew......You would have to ask Bintel on their Lay-By policies....I doubt they rent to buy anything...but ask.

If you want the discount the product must be purchased and ordered through me.....

mch62
23-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Tony just be aware although the Argo Navis is a very very good product it is only a digital setting circle and does not give you go-to functions of the mount motors.

As far as PE error goes if auto guiding , PE control is not as important , as the auto guider will correct both axis by keeping the alignment star centred.
PE is required if you aren't auto guiding and manually trying to keep the scope aligned.
For that you will want to have as low a PE as possible .

This is why the AM kit does away with PE control and relies on Auto guiding.
With the ability to be able to use even a cheap web cam for the auto guider and the high frame rate of a web cam auto guiding is very accurate.

If the PE of the EQ6 is a concern to you there are several companies doing replacement gears for the mount with reduced PE but for long exposure CCD you will still require the precise correction offered by Autoguiding.

The biggest problem with the EQ6 mount is by far the motors and the intermediate gear box of these motors plus the monkey snot grease used.
The gear boxes can have an oscillation which becomes apparent at high magnifications but appears to be a hit and miss thing as mine does not have the problem but others do.
By doing away with the gear box in the Am set up and using a far better motor you are removing the back lash oscillations and the PE of the gear boxes.

Mark

acropolite
23-04-2005, 10:04 AM
I have no practical experience, but what I have seen and read seems to agree with your comments Mark. Tony, revisit the image posted by seeker372011 http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1755 and also check out Pete's link http://www.users.bigpond.com/lansma/art_autoguiding.htm . Both use Guidedog to correct for errors, in Pete's case on a mount (LX90) a lot less capable than the LX you have just sold. In seeker's case he's using the same model camera that you also sold. The old medical phrase "Prevention is better than cure" may well apply here.

Striker
23-04-2005, 10:55 AM
I have pretty much decided..I am either getting the SkyScan or the Astromeccancia upgrade....more so the Astromeccanica...

Thanks...

mick pinner
23-04-2005, 11:59 AM
have you priced the complete set up, it does get expensive when you include the go-to on top of the motor and drive belt assembly.

Striker
23-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Yes....Mick

$2350 for the EQ6 and SkyScan

Around the same price for the EQ6 and Astromeccanica upgrade.

I dont need a goto keypad.....I want to control the GOTO functions via Computer only.....

I just ordered the Astromeccanica upgrade from Italy....550 euro's + Postage.....around $1000 AUD

http://www.astromeccanica.it/da1_ENG.htm