PDA

View Full Version here: : first light with my new 12" dob

monoxide
22-02-2007, 01:01 AM
i got the dob a few days ago and had a few quick looks but tonight i spent a fair while making sure that the scope was collimated spot on.
it was way out when i got it and i was a bit worried since id never had to do any major adjustments with the 6" (first time adjusting the secondary was scary) but i got through that all fine.

just have to say, this thing is HUGE and can be awkward to move. having said that, if you put wheels on the base, it would just be teriffic. (ill be doing this soon).

anyway i set it up tonight and made sure it had cooled, first target ofcourse m42 and wow, i could make out structure in the nebula and it even looked to have a greenish colour at the trapezium. even better with the uhc filter in.

and next was saturn, popped in the barlow and 9mm, just all the detail you could pick out, was incredible. i would have spent atleast 2 hours just on saturn.

if i didnt have to work id be waiting up for joop!
the weekend coming should be good :)

jjjnettie
22-02-2007, 01:04 AM
I hope for clear skies for you this weekend so you can put your new scope through it's paces.
Enjoy.

iceman
22-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Great first light! Well done, yuo'll love it.

wavelandscott
22-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Well done!

Now that you are well and truly hooked it is time to explain in more detail about the high quality premium eyepeices that you are obligated to buy to "truly" enjoy the view.

I am just kidding, enjoy the gear that you have...

ving
22-02-2007, 11:23 AM
6" to 12"! thats quite a upgrade :)

glad you are enjoying it :)

monoxide
22-02-2007, 04:57 PM
thanks for the comments! although it looks like i may be working over the weekend too... ill definately post back when i get a chance to really test the scope out. oh and mike, i got the white OTA aswell :) the OTA itself is great, havent been able to find any major faults or anything but the base is just horrible compared to the skywatcher style dob base. the spring setup really isnt great, i guess i know what ill be making when i get some time off, also ill probably make a platform with wheels just to move it around easier. and yeah i guess now its time to start looking at some 'premium' ep's, atleast once i work out what im using the most.

wavelandscott
22-02-2007, 06:56 PM
In all seriousness, you have the right idea about figuring out what you will use the most before splashing out...

While everyone has their own opinions and purchase strategies, I tend to buy fewer high quality eyepieces instead of getting whole sets of "cheapies" (or moderately priced). In my opinion 3 quality eyepeices and a good barlow (or Powermate) are all you really need

Enjoy your scope!

monoxide
24-02-2007, 09:19 PM
well looks like tonight is the night that i get to have a good play with the scope.
i had a quick play around with the base today and got it running a lot smoother than it was, also added my 'push-to' setup so i should be all set for a good night~!

still a few things to mod, including making a whole new rocker box skywatcher style with the tension control handles (and big wheels that can handle grass), ive also been looking at the TMB planetary ep's, if the 3 for 2 special goes for a while longer ill be looking at getting a 5, 7 and 9mm.

also ordered a new laptop, so watch out for some dodgy planetary images in a month or so when i get the hang of it.