PDA

View Full Version here: : Bob's Knobs / Lightbridge / GSO 12" Dob

DougAdams
19-02-2007, 11:25 AM
A couple of questions about Bob's Knobs...

- I want to get a set of primary knobs for my GSO 12" Dob, which are apparently compatible with the Lightbridge knobs. Anyone done that here who can confirm this is correct?

- The early word on the 12" Lightbridge was the collimation springs were too weak to support the primary properly. Would this be the same for the GSO 12" if they're the same primary setup?

Thanks in advance!

astronut
19-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Doug,
I used Astronomy-Shoppe.com knobs.
The springs used in the Guan Sheng 12" and Lightbridge 12" are the same.
Go to the above site and they have the complete "Rescue Kit" for your scope.
Delievery is fast, approx 7-10 days.
P.S. It will make a world of difference in collimating time!!!
With the stiffer springs you can also ditch the locking pins, as I have.:)

iceman
19-02-2007, 12:27 PM
My replacement springs + knobs for my 12" GSO should arrive next week. I ordered direct from Bob's Knobs himself.

spudrick
19-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Here are Lightbridge Bob`s knobs on my 12" GSO direct from Bob`s USA :D

astronut
19-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Here's the rear cell converted.:)
Also replace the secondary screws with knobs, it will make the job tooless and a lot easier.

DougAdams
19-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys - I'll send an email off to Astronomy-Shoppe to get a shipping quote.

DougAdams
19-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Another quick question - you've rigged up a 12v SLA battery for your fan? Did you do any special mods. to the electrics to get this to work? I'm also a cyclist and have a few batteries on charge rotation in the garage. It'd be very handy to simply click one of those into the cooling fan :)

astronut
19-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Doug,
I'm not an electronics wizard, but I like to tinker and have a friend that's spent his life building and repairing anything electronic.
He made up a small circuit board to help with controling the current for the dew heaters I have. The wiring and and mounting of same was my job:lol:
If you just want to power the fan it's even simpler.
With the wiring coming from the battery make sure that it runs through a fuse (glass, small 205 type) this will prevent fan meltdown incase of a short circuit, apart from that the wiring is simple.:)