PDA

View Full Version here: : Daystar Quark and scope SIZE query

Ukastronomer
13-01-2019, 12:59 AM
There appear to be many people who are confused as to what filters are needed for what scopes when using a Daystar Quark Ha filter.

To clarify this I contacted Daystar as I am mounting mine on both a 72mm Ed and my triplet 120mm ED

I was sure that you did NOT need a FRONT mounted IR cut filter and I am right for a 120mm scope, don't ask me how or why the Quarki does not need one, all I know is accoring to Daystar it doed not, and that is shown in their literature where one can be fitted between the diagonal and the Quark

Here is what daystar say

NOW if any damage happens then they are responsible, in writing :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiffany Messerschmidt <tiffany@daystarinstruments.com>
Tue, Sep 18, 2018, 8:32 PM. To me

Jeremy,

Refractors 80mm: no ERF is needed.

Refractors above 80mm up to 150mm: must at least have a UV/IR cut
filter/ You can use a front mount ERF if you want.

Refractors above 150 & SCT: must have a Front mount ERF.

You can use a UV/IR with your set up.

Tiffany

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marke
13-01-2019, 07:27 AM
That's correct only need a uv/ir cut filter before the Quark up to 150mm no need for full aperture rejection. I will most likely get a 127 /1200 and uv is all I'll be using.

mental4astro
13-01-2019, 09:51 AM
I have always used a 2" UV/IR filter on the front of my 2" diagonal with my ED80. The cone of light entering through 2" filter at this point is very large, so no harm comes to the filter by way of heat. 80mm is on the threshold of filter/no filter, so if you only do casual a filter may not be necessary, but if you spend a significant amount of time viewing through the eyepiece, then a filter would be wise. I'd still suggest using a filter either way. The image won't degrade and you have your eyes to keep safe.

Merlin66
13-01-2019, 10:21 AM
Alex,
With the design of the Quark with its build in erf and etalon, the use of an added filter is more to protect it than the user.

Ukastronomer
15-01-2019, 02:11 AM
Daystar are happy with it not needing one until over 130mm ( scopefront mounted, just use in front of diagonal)

glend
15-01-2019, 06:19 AM
Yeah, but are you happy with not having an ERF on the front of your expensive scope? Maybe it is not seen as a necessity by those selling the Quark but I would not subject my 127mm objective to the stress. Go ahead laugh.
Is Daystar offering a warranty on your objective, scope, or eyes? I think not.

Marke
15-01-2019, 07:00 AM
People have been doing it and using them successfully that way for years How are you using yours ?

Merlin66
15-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Glen,
To give some reassurance....
I use large aperture telescopes - well 100mm - both air spaced doublets (TS102) and Petzval design (Genesis) with no ERF(!!!) combined with a Baader "cool" Herschel wedge for white light observering.
No issues, no damage, no drama.

Ukastronomer
15-01-2019, 07:59 PM
But then you could argue that for any "objective", be it 1" or 100"

The heat is not on the objective any more than it is on your own skin, the heat is at the FOCUS POINT

It is rude to Laugh and YES in effect Daystar ARE offering a guarantee on your scope, they have put in writing what is/not needed, therefore are open to being sued if wrong, with not a leg to stand on

DarkArts
15-01-2019, 08:53 PM
I've always erred on the safe side and put a 2" UV/IR cut in front of the diagonal with my Quark and ED80. But I'd always thought it was recommended at or above 80mm aperture anyway.

PS: doesn't she have the coolest name in astronomy? :)

Ukastronomer
15-01-2019, 10:45 PM
I did say that one is needed on the diagonal just not on the front ?

"Refractors above 80mm up to 150mm: must at least have a UV/IR cut
filter/ You can use a front mount ERF if you want."

DarkArts
16-01-2019, 06:53 AM
Huh?