PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade StellaAccess and WiFi

Malcolm
06-01-2019, 08:10 AM
Is anyone using this? I'd like to know if it does away with using the handset as the SynScan app allows. Setting up the alignment process with the AutoStar handset is a nightmare and consistently fails. Even after managing a successful alignment if fails to correctly find a selected target. Are other WiFi units compatible with app?

alval
06-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Hi Malcolm,
I use stella access and the stella wifi with an Etx 125. It still requires the set up and alignment with the handset, then you connect to it and from then on all controls are via stella access on your phone or ipad. It makes it quite easy to select targets and to see what other targets are in the vicinity.
Al

Malcolm
06-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Hi Al, thanks for the reply. I intend to update the handset for the owner as the setup is apparently around fifteen years old and seen very little use as she has always struggled to make sense of the alignment process. We battled with it for around three hours last night and after finally getting the alignment successful message on the handset it failed to align on a chosen target, it was in fact way off which is really odd. I edited a site with our current lat/long and the mount was level and polar aligned. The first alignment star Sirius was brought into centre by adjusting the mount and the second star Capella was reasonably close and was brought to centre with the handset, although I found trying to adjust the rate speed to move the mount changed the tracking speed which is not what occurs with a SynScan handset. Chose Orion Nebula and the mount was way off target. Now to find out if the app will work with a SynScan WiFi or a Nexus unit instead of the Meade WiFi which is pretty pricey.

alval
06-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Hi Malcolm, the meade stella is just a rebadged Skyfi 3 and stella access is the same as sky safari 5. Meades version doesnt have the latest skyfi firmware but can be updated and then becomes a skyfi, and skysafari is up to version 6. So meades stuff is a little behind in updates. It was expensive, I saved a bit shipping it from bhphoto in new york including shipping and exchange rate. As far as poor alignment goes if it hasnt been used for a while it may need a train motors for the power source and train drives for backlash. Not sure what meade scope and mount your using but if its polar aligned it also needs to be set to polar in the handset. These can certainly affect alignment. I only use alt/az just for viewing as its simpler to set up. Al

Malcolm
06-01-2019, 07:20 PM
That's interesting information. It's not my setup so next time I see it I'll have a look at the train the drive etc. setup. No idea it had an alt-az mode either, it's an LX55 mount with a Meade 10" Newt, so the mount realistically should have been an LX75 given the weight of the OTA. Seems like a SynScan WiFi unit would work then, hopefully be able to test it soon.

alval
07-01-2019, 08:39 AM
Not sure how the synscan will go but I think the alignment will still need to be sorted first. I see now it is a polar mount scope not sure it would have the option for alt/az in the settings. You could check the correct scope is selected in settings as that would certainly screw things up. Since its been played with a bit over the years and settings may have been accidently changed you could reset the handset to factory settings and start again. Hope you get it working properly, its a waste having it sit there and not being able to use it. Al

Malcolm
07-01-2019, 06:54 PM
Factory reset is probably a good idea. Thanks. :-)

wizdmkeepr
08-01-2019, 10:52 AM
I have this same unit - how do you update the firmware? Thanks

alval
08-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Try this link to the skyfi makers support page it explains everything.

https://support.simulationcurriculum.com/hc/en-us/articles/231541707-SkyFi-III-USB-Wireless-Telescope-Adapter-Firmware-Update-Process

I havent done it as mine works perfectly well as is I figure while it aint broke I wont mess with it. Al

Malcolm
08-01-2019, 07:14 PM
I went to update the firmware on the mount today and the cable didn't fit the mount. The Wifi unit didn't fit either. Looks like the AUX socket and handset socket is RJ10 with four pins in the socket so on the hunt for the right size cable to serial as I already have the serial to USB by Prolific. Trained the mount/drive successfully and it appears to be working just fine. Can't add new sites, the handset says it's full.

alval
08-01-2019, 08:58 PM
Hi Malcolm, if this is still the autostar and lx55, the firmware I believe is in the hand set. There are threads about updating the autostar depending on which one it is, AndrewJ who posts here abouts is the guru on these matters. I have the later audiostar 497ep and it has two ports in the base (not sure what the autostar you have has) one for the controller to mount and the other smaller one is where the stella wifi unit is connected so it runs through the handset. Al

Malcolm
09-01-2019, 05:48 AM
Yes ok, the handset does have a port, but smaller than my existing cable that I use on a SkWatcher for updating the handset. I think we need a DB9 female serial to RJ10 cable and an RJ12 to RJ10 to test the Wifi which I have my doubts will work as the WiFI unit has six pins in its port and the handset has four. The SkyFi 3 and Stella Access wifi unit is compatible with Synscan, yet the port size is different to the port on the Meade handset. The telescope mount is apparently fifteen or more years old so perhaps the later handsets have a different port size. Would you mind measuring the width of the wifi plug and letting me know what that is please?

alval
09-01-2019, 09:38 AM
The socket on the handset is about 8 mm wide an rj10 4p4c connector. I have a meade 505 connector kit which converts this to db9 for use with the stella unit and also to connect to a serial port on a computer. One thing though the db9 adaptor has a rj 11 6p3c socket so only three wires are used to connect to anything. Al

Malcolm
09-01-2019, 04:46 PM
So likely we need the Meade 505 kit, thanks for the info, very helpful.

pdv
22-02-2019, 01:45 PM
Hi, Is there any universal wifi adapter that works with both meade and celestron? Thanks

alval
22-02-2019, 08:38 PM
The Skyfi 3 ( or rebadged as meade Stella) works with both celestron and meade. Check the link in post nine above it lists the compatible scopes and other info about getting it to work.