PDA

View Full Version here: : Review: Guan Sheng GS-500 6" f5 Telescope

iceman
09-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi all

Rick Parrott has kindly reviewed the Guan Sheng GS-500 6" f5 Telescope.

You can read the review from the IceInSpace Reviews (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/?reviews) page, or directly by clicking on the link below:

Guan Sheng GS-500 6" f5 Telescope (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=41,368,0,0,1,0)

Thanks to Rick for writing the review.

If you'd like to contribute a review, article or other content for IceInSpace, please contact me.

iceman
13-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Article uploaded.

chris lewis
17-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Good write up - I always belived that a high quality 6 in. Newt is a great astro scope that can give a lifetime of great views whilst not being too expensive or difficult to set up and manage - it is a great 'grap and go' scope.

I always recommend a 6 in F/5 scope ahead of the 4 1/2 in. Newts. and tell people to avoid the ones with the built in 'barlow' lens that double the focal length - they dim the image and make collimation more difficut.

I have always found the GSO equipment to be of excellent quality - I had one of their 8 in. f/4 Newts. The F/5 on this scope will make collimation more easier. The larger GSO's now come with Crayford focusers.

The Skyview mount that it comes with is also an excellent 'all round' mount. I have used in with my 8 in. Newt. and well as my ED100 - which is the 'maximum' for the mount for both these but fine for visual use. With the optional RA drive I had it tracked very well.
The mount is perfect for the ED80 size scopes.
Clear Skies

ving
17-02-2007, 12:09 PM
nice one ric! :)
thanks for teh report :)

next upgrade... ra drive me thinks :D

Karls48
17-02-2007, 05:07 PM
I got GS-500 telescope also and I’m happy with it. Especially now after I put the mount on the pier. RA drive works very well and I use scope for imagining with GStar camera. It did not work so good with supplied battery pack (10x C batteries) so now I’m using 7A/h gel battery with bridge rectifier as reverse polarity protection. Bridge rectifier drops about 1.2V supplying about 11.5 to 12.5v to the RA drive. Works fine for me