PDA

View Full Version here: : HEQ5 Pro Synscan to DSLR

RyanJones
16-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Hi all,

I want to use the camera control provided in my synscan hamd controller. In the manual it shows a wiring diagram for the multi purpose port, however it doesn’t seem to work. It shows an optoisolator, but from the diagram that appears to be inside the controller itself. From plenty of googling it’s only described as a basic shutter release cable that uses pin 1 and 4 on the hand controller multi purpose port. Am I missing something?

P.s I know most people are going to suggest hooking up to a laptop and using BYE or similar to control the camera, this is not what I want to do right now. I just need a wiring diagram for the shutter release cable to connect to the multi purpose port on my synscan

Thanks in advance :)

Merlin66
16-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Ryan,
Which version of Synscan are you using???
I thought the HEQ5 needed V3, which I think doesn't have this feature????

JA
16-12-2018, 10:04 AM
No, I won't suggest a laptop, as that's not what you wanted and by all means sus-out the Synscan shutter release, but you could much more easily go for a intervalometer to use as a remote shutter release. Additionally it would provide you with the ability to take multiple timed expossures of greater than 30 seconds. There are several types on eBay for around $15-30. Just check compatibility with your DSLR (both by checking the eBay listing AND by specific question seeking confirmation from the vendor.)

As an example:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LCD-Remote-control-timer-intervalometer-for-Canon-6D-7D-5D-5D2-50D-40D-30D-D60/162460744842?hash=item25d36a3c8a:g: dwsAAOSwySlaCskj:rk:6:pf:0

Best
JA

Merlin66
16-12-2018, 10:21 AM
https://y7i4h2m2.stackpathcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/SYNSCAN4.pdf

OK, It appears the latest version of Synscan - V4 can provide camera control...see section 11.4 of the manual.

RyanJones
16-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Hi Ken,

The synscan is version 4.39.04. The camera control is in the utilities so it definitely has it.

The section shows the pin outs of the connector but they don’t seem to work. At least not directly. It shows an optoisolator on the diagram too but from my electronics understanding that would have to be inside the mount.

RyanJones
16-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Hi JA,

An intervalometer is an option however is just another bit of wiring and controller hanging from the OTA/mount. I’d like to use the camera control the mount has if possible. Funny thing is skywatchers website doesn’t list a camera shutter cable that fits. The one on there is a round connector not a phone style one which I find quite odd

Merlin66
16-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Ryan,
I don’t think the HEQ5 has the new Aux port to connect to - seems to be only the new altaz and EQ8 mounts??

RyanJones
16-12-2018, 05:14 PM
According to the manual the eq8 and altaz mounts have a " SNAP " port. The others use the multifunction port on the bottom of the hand controller.

Merlin66
16-12-2018, 05:41 PM
The message title mentions HEQ5 Pro, hence my comments.

RyanJones
16-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Yeah, so mine ( heq5 pro ) is one of the " others "

I want to connect the camera to the multifunction port where it says to in the manual

Merlin66
16-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Ryan,
OK through the Synscan hand controller rather than the mount.

RyanJones
16-12-2018, 10:16 PM
Yes. Or at least that is what I can gather I'm supposed to be doing.

Merlin66
17-12-2018, 04:27 PM
http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/accessories.html
(Near bottom of page)
These guys seem to sell the SNAP cables ($20) - may give you some ideas on fitment to the Handcontroller???

RyanJones
17-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Thank you Ken for taking the time to do the research. Looking at all of those cables, they don't have the end on them I need to connect to my hand controller. I'm starting to wonder if I'm miss reading where it's supposed to connect to and there's another port. I'll have another look tonight and report back.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

RyanJones
17-12-2018, 09:38 PM
I am literally pulling my hair out here and getting slightly dishearten with my mount :(

Startrek
17-12-2018, 10:38 PM
I used a $35.00 Canon remote shutter switch with a 1m cord hanging from the DSLR for nearly 9 months which worked ok
When I updated to EQMOD , Stellarium and BYEOS back in August , I don’t why I waited so damn long , should have updated much earlier, a huge improvement in every aspect of AP

I feel your frustration, your just trying to connect a simple cable to get a simple camera control function via Synscan

To be honest I’ve never heard of anyone utilising this Synscan feature ( only seen specs on the EQ8 and az alt EQ6 )

Sorry I can’t offer a solution on your camera control method but if you decide to update to the next level you will definitely never look back

Good luck !

raymo
17-12-2018, 10:55 PM
I don't know if I'm talking out of my rear end, but if you are going to have an extra cable hanging from the hand controller, what is the difference between
that and using an intervalometer? The cable from the intervalometer could
be routed any way you want, as opposed to being stuck with two cables
coming from your hand controller, especially as the two cables would go to
different places.
raymo

RyanJones
17-12-2018, 11:53 PM
Hi Martin,
I have a serious case of OCD and when I want to do something a certain way, I can literally waste hours trying to make it work. I may end up going the intervalometer direction but I'm trying everything else first. You're right that the frustration is just in the fact that it should work and doesn't, all for the sake of a damn cable that the manufacturer of the mount doesn't even sell themselves. In an attempt to make my set up work, I did actually resign myself to downloading BYE only to find that canon don't make 64bit drivers for my older canon 5D:(

More wasted time and effort

Ryan

RyanJones
18-12-2018, 12:02 AM
Hi Raymo,

There is nothing that annoys me more than disorganised cables dangling everywhere, so in a normal situation you'd be 100% right. The plan however was to have the shutter release cable run up through the centre of the hand controller coil cable. It would then go to a separate shutter release box, the same as I had on my previous mount, which included an interrupter switch and provision for a normal shutter release to be used during focusing and framing. This box is mounted on the mount just before the last articulation point, then a cable runs from this box to the actual camera. This way everything stays nice and neat and tidy.

Ryan

raymo
18-12-2018, 12:38 AM
Fair enough.
raymo

Startrek
18-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Hi Ryan,
Sorry I didn’t realise you have an older Canon DSLR which won’t connect to BYEOS
Martin