PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ Mount musings..

iceman
07-02-2007, 07:50 AM
There's something to be said about the simplicity of a dob :)

It was sooo easy to prepare for an imaging session with the dob + EQ platform.. most times I left them setup in position, and just put a cover over them. It stayed like that through sun + rain, and I really only moved them under cover if it was predicted to be really hot, or really wet :)

It meant my imaging sessions could start very quickly, just take out the laptop, eyepiece case, webcam+bits case, plug it all in, collimate and away I go. It also meant if it was cloudy (after setting the alarm to get up at 3am), I could just put the cover on and go back to bed.

Now, it's 20-30 minutes to completely setup the EQ6 + 12" and all associated bits and be ready to image. Plus, it's a lot more physically demanding.. The mount is heavy. The counterweights (22.5kg in total) are heavy. The 12" newt (21+ kg) is heavy. Set it all up last night, left the fan running for a Saturn/moon imaging session early this morning.

Get up at 1:30am, high hazy cloud meant transparency was horrible. It looked like clearing so I got out the laptop and started setting up.. by the time I'd setup the laptop, camera etc, and the clouds had gotten worse. Gave it away, spent the next 20-30 minutes at 2am putting it all away. :bashcomp: :doh:

I'm going to get a garden shed and put it in the garden near my observing area - not for an observatory (not enough visible sky from there), but just to store my scope/mount/bits in, so at least I won't need to carry it long distances to unpack/pack it up. That will help a bit. I'm also going to put some concrete pads/pavers on the grass where the tripod legs go, so I can level them/mark them when it's properly aligned, so at least I can plonk the tripod down and it will be roughly aligned without having to get it level, check the compass, put the mount on, etc.

Makes me very jealous of you guys with an observatory and plenty of usable sky :) There's a great spot in my yard up the back corner (highest part of the yard) for an observatory, but I have 2 big gum trees which block my view to the north (from there), which is a no-no for my planetary pursuits.

I think I remember a thread about it a while ago, but what's the consensus on leaving the tripod/mount/counterweights setup and in position with a cover/tarp over them? Is it bad for the mount/electronics? I assume the wet is not a problem cause it won't get wet? if it's "breathable" material it shouldn't dew up.. is it the extreme heat on hot summer days that are a worry?

I do miss the simplicity of setting up the dob/platform for imaging. I'm sure it will get easier/quicker in the months to come but it can be very frustrating at the moment!

vindictive666
07-02-2007, 08:15 AM
mike ive got a chainsaw you could borrow or you could move house :) LOL

hasnt been the same ever since theyve decided to install those orange lights

along the highway out the front of my place (mutter mutter) :)

33South
07-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Mike I can relate to what you are saying, it was the same when I only had the LX90, I could carry the whole thing out and be up and observing in 5mins.

Im sure I observe less now, only setting up if I think I can get a good few hours in.

Getting a shed so things will be more convenient is a good compromise and will certainly speed things up.

casstony
07-02-2007, 08:50 AM
How about leaving the mount in place with a large plastic bin over the mount. Mount some downward facing plumbing fittings in the base of the bin for ventilation.

Dennis
07-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi Mike

Hah - welcome to the world of GEM's. Last night was my first outing since Oct 2006. It took me 2 hours before I was ready to image. Setting up the hutch, filling it with eyepiece boxes, motorized focusers, power adapters for all the electronics, polar aligning, balancing, focusing, setting up the computer, PDA, DMK, routing all the cables, checking for cable wrap or pull, etc. etc.

I was soooooo rusty it was almost comical.

Cheers

Dennis

RB
07-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Tell me about it Mike!

The last real serious imaging session I had was in August 2006, I think.

Between work, family commitments and the weather it's just too difficult to lug all that gear out, pull an all nighter, pack up afterwards and continue working the next day.

Even Kulnura ends up being more of a social for me cos it's difficult to transport all my gear and run the risk of the weather going bad soon after I set up (I've had that happen).
The best times at Kulnura are when I simply have the girls with me and we use their LB, so easy to setup and just observe.

The gear is too expensive to risk leaving out in the elements, especially the heat.

An observatory would be bliss and until I can get one underway I'll have to just be patient.

You'd do well with a shed just to store the gear in, just make sure it's well ventilated.

bojan
07-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Permanent site is the answer...... (that does not mean I have one :-( )

ving
07-02-2007, 09:32 AM
you need to sink a pier in the middle of your back yard mike ;)

bojan
07-02-2007, 09:45 AM
And put some shield over it (big trash bin, for example? Check Bunnings for them, ~AU$150).
Do not worry about heat harm to electronics, those things are usually OK from -35 to +120C for storage and -25C to +85 for operation.Mechanicals are designed to operate at outdoors temperatures anyway.
B

rogerg
07-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Hmm, yes.. I can understand what you're saying Mike. Setting up out in the wheatbelt my mate gets his 15" Obsession running and collimated well before I finish polar aligning after having setup my gear (GM8).

Last night I snuck in 25 minutes of astrophotography, and was only outside for no more than 30 minutes. Walked in to the obs, opened the roof, turned on the equipment (one switch, computer already running 24x7), connected the software to it, and started imaging. It was really nice to be able to walk away with 25 minutes of photo's for 30 mins of time.

The difference is as clear as black and white.

jase
07-02-2007, 11:44 AM
I hear you Mike. I was frustrated at setting up my equipment each night. Just took too long. I have a somewhat different issue though. I live in Melbourne, but my observatory is 160km away in a dark rural location.

I get so frustrated (and I mean really frustrated) when the skies are clear in town as I can't simply jump in the car and drive 2 hours (4 hours return) to start imaging (especially weeknights).:mad2:

(Somewhat off topic...-below)

I've had enough of this and have started to put an end to it. As my observatory location is so remote, I'm eligible for the government broadband connect scheme where they will install a satellite dish for Internet comms. I will use this and wireless to establish a connection to the observatory computer. This will allow remote comms be it a little slow due to high latency experienced with satellite. The dome is already motorised and sync'd to the computer, but will need to motorise shutter operations. Not cheap.

Once complete, I'll start with interactive remote imaging sessions to test the set up. Though eventually I'll go robotic and schedule my imaging targets so aquisition can occur without my direct involvement. I'll need to purchase a cloud/rain (http://www.cyanogen.com/products/cloud_main.htm) sensor to check it its clear. If so, start imaging, if not check throughout the night if it clears and continue image acquistion from where it last left off. I already use a Robofocus for remote focusing, the scope is controlled by TheSky and MaximDL for CCD camera control so I'm nearly there. I expect this will maximise my investment and keep me happy.

h0ughy
07-02-2007, 12:21 PM
yep i suffered badly with this when I had the 12" meade, then it got worse when I got the EQ6 mounts and the other gear, but when it works you get fantastic results. I hated to pack up after everything was setup. For me the only option is the observatory.

Scott Alder has a Sampson mount and garbage can over it, he then just sets up the power, the tube and the power controller and the AN and he is away, it is already polar aligned and well you know what he gets with that setup.

ving
07-02-2007, 12:30 PM
or get one of those umm trolley things for the eq6 so you can wheel it around :)

h0ughy
07-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Ving you seen his yard haven't you?????:lol:

[1ponders]
07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
While I'm not trying to load a 12" scope onto my mount (yet ;) ), depending on what sort of imaging I'm doing, setting up can take from 10min to an hour.

If I'm planetary imaging the marks on the concrete are close enough to keep the planet in the field of view of a ToUcam for 10 min easy. Sometimes if it's a really rough alignment I'll even autoguide to keep the planet centered. I'll do the same thing if I'm DSOing on another mount so I don't have to keep coming back and recentering for subsequent (automatically taken) shots.

If I'm DSOing then it may take me up to an hour to get really finicity polar aligned, less if I'm focused on the issue and not chatting on IIS at the same time :P

For me it's not the setup time so much as the weight of carrying out a G11. Fingers crossed the observatory is not too far away :prey:

iceman
07-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Yeh but have you seen how small your Saturn is? :)

i guess my main question still stands - what danger is there (if any) of leaving the tripod + mount out in the yard with appropriate cover (garbage can/tarp) over it?

casstony
07-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Moisture? Insects? Seal the head in a plastic bag with a bag of moisture absorbent before placing the bin on?

[1ponders]
07-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Ahhh grasshopper, long focal length, the cross you must bear.:violin:

I remember once in my youth.........:innocent:

:lol:

xelasnave
07-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Mike do yourself a favour and go for a garden shed that rolls off the scope permanently mounted. Marking where the tripod goes seems a great idea but it is still frustrating to get a polar alignment, probably more so because you think you are close, and you are but close in astro photography means nothing. Dont worry if you cant see all the sky work with the area you get where to observatory is best placed. You can remove the mount head and place it on the tripod to get planets but for deep sky permanent position helps so much. You have not erected it pulled it down and again errected it yet .. in up down in out whatever it really takes away from the joy..save yourself that unpleasant experience and learn by others mistakes go for a secure shed that rolls away. Pay attention to insulation and fit a couple of fans working off a small solar panel so hot days are not a worry. My gear is only 8 feet away soon it will be in a little roll off shed. The advantages simply can not be ignored.You will get better photos. Trust me I have a hernia;) .
alex

snowyskiesau
07-02-2007, 03:15 PM
You can get small sheds (1.570m x 0.810m x 1.840m) that would be ideal for the roll off
option.
These are light enough to be moved by one person, especially so if you fit wheels.

bojan
07-02-2007, 03:37 PM
None.
Provided it is covered with something when not in use.

Dennis
07-02-2007, 03:55 PM
My mount can occasionally smell of grease and/or oil when left out in the day, even with a reflective Scopestuff (http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_t365.htm) cover on it. I'm not sure if this means that the grease/oil is being thinned by the heat and flowing away from where it should live?

Cheers

Dennis

bojan
07-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Generally, high grade lithium based grease (green stuff, usually used here) can operate at teperatures up to 125C.
The smell does not mean it is flowing out or thinning.

acropolite
07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Look out for your back Mike. If you can leave your setup where you observe and fit rollers under the garden shed (with an end opening) it would make life a lot easier. Hafta love the LX90, I can carry OTA & tripod out the door without any hassles and after letting it cool I'm away.

iceman
08-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Unfortunately I can't put a shed where I observe, the wife forbids it :) It's right in the middle of the yard so I can understand completely.. we have young kids that have a tendancy to use that piece of grass as well :)

netwolf
08-02-2007, 10:04 AM
I was also thinking about a Shed in the near future but am not sure of how to find the ideal spot.
Mike I am thinking if a spot is not ideal due to blockage can a platform be placed inside the shed to raise the telescope above the blockage?
The spot you are placing the shed in be made more ideal if you raise the Telescope?

Does anyone know of a Roof (attic based Observatory), or a legal/cheap way to add a 2nd level balcony to the side of you house for observing?

Regards

ving
08-02-2007, 10:41 AM
i am thinking that you may just have to put up with it mike :shrug: