PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron Evolution 8 Edge HD with StarSense

Bassman
12-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Hello to everyone in this forum. I hope everybody is well and enjoying dark skies. I do not have the funds yet and it may take at least another six to twelve months to save up for my second and only telescope.

I wish to purchase a portable telescope for when we go caravanning in our 17 foot caravan. There will also be two small dogs, a pug and a frenchie, plus my wife. Therefore room is a bit on the short side.

The table in the caravan has been removed so the telescope in its protective case could go where the table went and the tripod down by the side of the queen size bed. When not in use. I could possibly rest the protective case on an inflatable mattress to help absorb some of the shocks whilst under way. Or if I am able. Secure it on top of the bed.

I have had three telescopes recommend to me and wandered what the Forum members thought these please?

Ease of setup and pull down and use/aligning is a requirement. Plus storage on the road in the caravan.

The three contending telescopes are:

1. Celestron Evolution 8 HD with StarSense

Question. Have the optics on the C8's improved that much these days. I always remember them being mediocre at best. A GOTO telescope would be nice.

2. Takahashi FS-60CB

I know next to nothing about this model. Though I have always dreamed of a 5" Takahashi.

3. BD 127mm Maksutov

4. If you have something else I should consider? Please feel free to comment.

Warm regards,

Paul

brian nordstrom
13-11-2018, 05:40 PM
:) Hi Paul and welcome mate , my choice would be the Celestron 8 inch because by the sounds of it you will be travelling to dark sky sites and there is NO :eyepop: I repeat NO ! substitute for aperture and the Evo's get very good reports , so go the 8 inch .

If you go the smaller scopes you will always be thinking in the back of your mind ,,,,, I wonder what this or that would have looked like in the larger scope , trust me no 2.4 inch or 5 inch will come close to 8 inches , ever ! . I know as I have been there .;) .

Brian.

Bassman
13-11-2018, 06:24 PM
G'day Brian, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I have posted on a couple of other sites and did receive another positive comment about the Edge HD Celestron Telescopes. This gentleman owned an 11" Edge HD and commented that the stars look like little balls all the way to the edge of the field of view.

With your reply and his. I now have the confidence to start saving for my new Celestron 8 HD with StarSense. I stepped in a little reluctantly due to my old C8 and all the issues it had after 12 months. Not that there was anything that broke. I just wanted more than it could deliver.

I see by your extensive list of instruments you are well qualified on this subject. I too, dream of owning a 5" refractor one day. Though I see you have one.

Again. Thank you very much.

Dark Skies,

Paul.

Wavytone
13-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Hi Paul agree with Brian - if you’re in dark skies aperture rules. To get a good look at galaxies an 8” is definitely the starting point, nothing smaller.

An SCT is not my choice - f/10 is not ideal for wide field views of DSO and it’s not ideal for planets either - for that a good 8” Newtonian or 7” Maksutov will be far better - but they’re big and heavy for what you re doing, and a good mak will cost more by the time you add mount and tripod.

So assuming your thing is punting around visually at dep sky things, then aperture is definitely king and is compact travel Dobsonian is what I’d go for, there are some that pack down into a side smaller than the case for a C8. And with a C8 you still have a big tripod to store somewhere. You’ll quite likely pick one up here secondhand, and there are one or two here who build compact travelscopes to order, though they are not low - cost items. If cost is your main issue you would be better off with a GSO or Skywatcher 8” dob.

FWIW the little refractors are mainly popular with the astrophotgraphy types and that’s a whole different kettle of fish by the time you have added a decent camera, guider, mount, tripod, laptop, heaters to keep the dew off, a folding table and chair and tent and batteries to power it all. to power it all

brian nordstrom
13-11-2018, 06:55 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks Paul , yes my 127mm ( 5 inch ) iStar is very good and I enjoy the views it gives , very sharp and great contrast but as good as it is my C9.25 beats it easily on deep sky and with the longer focal length 2350mm vrs 1000mm it gets up into higher powers 300x plus on good nights for planetary viewing much easier with given eyepieces .

But !! , it takes longer to set up than the 127mm refractor so every scope has it's trade off's , but if I were you the 8 inch Evo is the way to go , oh don't worry about size as the break down into 3 easily managable pieces , OTA , mount and tripod that get's easier with practice ( just like columation :thumbsup: ) .

Brian.

ps. for wide field , grab a pair of 10x50 binoculars !

Bassman
13-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Thank you again, Brian and Nick. I have a penchant for planetary views, Double Stars, Planetary Nebulas. I should have mentioned this and I apologise for not doing so. As I have made the mistake of doing so in other forums and forgot to do so here.

Also the moon and The Messier objects. I have seen all the planets before, Mercury visually one early morning on my way to work. It was a beautiful sight with Venus up as well, just before sunrise. Though I have not identified Pluto. It was in the field of view. But just another white dot amongst many.

Brian has mentioned one of my worst fears. Collimation, I always find myself going around in circles. Hence the idea of strapping the OTA in its case to the queen size bed. When we are on the road.

When I owned my old C8 with wedge and setting circles. It took me two hours to drift align. I was using the belt of Orion and I was pretty pleased with myself. I even saw my first galaxy after tapping the tube. It was just a faint fuzzy and took up all the field of view with my 26mm Celestion Plossl. I thought what is doing something wrong. I am sure I should be on it and I was. It just required a small tap on the tube for the faint fuzzy to stand out from the blackness of the surrounding night sky.

Nick thank you for your comment on the Dob. Though I think I m sold on the Evolution with StarSense. Punching in an object and having the telescope slew to the appropriate location seems so appealing. I have seen the Dumbell Nebula and seeing that for the first time was as exciting as seeing Saturn for the first time as well.

I know the Schmidt Cassegrain is a compromise telescope. Though if the stars are like little pearls as has been suggested on another forum. I think I am sold. I just needed to hear it from some one else.

Money is not really a hindrance. Though I would prefer to save up for it instead of just jumping into our cash reserves. Which I might end up doing.

Binoculars. As my wife Shelley enjoys bird watching. I purchased her a nice set of 8.5 x 42 Swarovski EL binoculars. I must say she is very happy.

I am currently resurrecting my 35mm camera film equipment after 26 years of neglect. Another project which I am enjoying slowly. I just could not justify the expense for a new digital setup for fauna and flora. Though this may change with time.

I remember the old Portaballs had very good optics. I will have to check to see if they are still around.

The critical desire is for easy setup and viewing after cool down. If anything will put me off from a new Schmidt Cassegrain. It will be Collimation. There are more accessories locally available than there was back in 1989.

Again, thank you both Brian and Nick.

Warm regards,

Paul.