View Full Version here: : eyepiece containers

04-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Does anyone know of a local source for plastic eyepiece containers?
I'm building a case for my eyepieces and want to put them in some sort of tube rather
than just the current plastic endcaps.
Something similar to the attached photo. (from Astronomics)

05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
I think I've seen some at Bintel.
Give them a call.

05-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Andrews Communications Systems has them for both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces for $2 and $4 respectively. They're under the 'Andrews accessories' section in the list linked below:

Aquila Optical & Electronics (AOE) has the 1.25" for $2.99, as per attachment (scroll down to bottom of linked page):

05-02-2007, 08:10 AM
The 2" cases I got from Andrews are a bit cheap and nasty. I bought 3 and one case emits a horrible squeak when I turn the two halves to open or close it. They're made from very thin plastic.

05-02-2007, 08:40 AM
I've got the Andrews 1 1/25" bolt style cases that came with my EPs and they are great. I've not seen the 2" ones.
The other style can be a very tight fit and can distort the shape of the EP rubbers.
I guess it all depends on the size of your EP's.

05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I'll check these out, thanks.

[I looked at Anacortes as a source of the ones I mentioned in my original post. Price is good but they want $104 to ship them :eyepop:]

06-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Dont fret, one of my Pentax XW containers does the same. How ever I would
like to source more that I can in corporate into a EP box. Anyone know where
I can get more Pentax XW containers from? cheap!

06-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Just ordered some of these http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=1072&kw=eyepiece%20case&st=2
from Opt in the US. Minimum price quoted for shipping via USPS was $US19 (6-10days).

As shipping adds a fair bit the the price, I've ordered more than I currently need. This
gives me an excuse to buy new eyepieces to fill them up ;)

13-02-2007, 02:40 PM
My new eyepieces cases from OPT.
Picture shows the three sizes in minimum and maximum extension. The largest one
has a diameter of 70mm and extends to 200mm
They look to me to be the same as the cases supplied with the Meade eyepieces

I ordered them last Thursday and they arrived today, pretty good service.

13-02-2007, 04:21 PM
They look the same as the cases I got from Andrews. I would buy again from Andrews but only if they agreed to test each one before shipping. One case I got is unusable except as a shipping case. I also bought one of the 2" color filters that ships in a flimsy plastic bag rather than a hard plastic case - not impressed. You can't assume that things will be done properly these days.

14-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Yep, they're the Bolt style cases I have.
Good one.

14-02-2007, 01:53 PM
There's no picture at Andrews website nor is there any mention of different sizes so it was
worth taking a punt on getting them OS. It only cost $19 for shipping so the total cost
per tube was around the $4 mark.
The larger ones I got are the size of a beer can (or a Coke can for the non drinkers :)).

I doubt I'll ever have an eyepiece THAT big.