PDA

View Full Version here: : Is there anything else like CCDInspector?

Stonius
18-10-2018, 04:06 PM
I'm more part of the SGP tribe, since I have ZWO cameras.

I'd like to find something that can basically do what this does, but I'm not sure I want to actually get CCDInspector because it seems to more designed to work with the Maxim ecosystem which I'm not using so I would expect issues when using it with SGP. Also it seems a bit $$$.

However, I have a RC scope and the facility to accurately measure the focal length from plate solves would be useful, as well as the ability to tweak collimation without having to remove/swap hardware.

Are there other software options for this sort of thing?

Cheers

Markus

RickS
18-10-2018, 04:29 PM
SubframeSelector in PixInsight offers the abiity to analyse and grade subs like CCDI. There are also scripts for mapping FWHM and Eccentricity over the FOV and for flat frame analysis. PI will also do plate solving and give you an accurate focal length (which CCDI doesn't do.) However, PI doesn't have any equivalent to the collimation stuff in CCDI.

If you're using PI for processing already then you probably don't need CCDI. I own a copy of CCDI and never use it now. If you don't use PI then it's probably not worth it just for this purpose... but I don't know of anything else that offers similar capabilities.

Cheers,
Rick.

Stonius
18-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Ah thanks, Rick! I do have PI, but have only just scratched the surface. Pity it cant do the live colloalmation assist stuff too.

Cheers

M

RickS
18-10-2018, 06:09 PM
Hi Markus,

Take a look at the SubframeSelector process, FWHMEccentricity and FlatContourPlot scripts.

The collimation stuff is probably doable with a bit of scripting...

Cheers,
Rick.

garymck
24-10-2018, 06:58 AM
If you have the prerequisites try:

Maxselector at http://www.felopaul.com/

It's free.

Gary

Stonius
24-10-2018, 01:52 PM
What I'm trying to do is to assess the focal length and field curvature of my RC10.

I know you really don't want to change the distance between the primary and secondary mirrors on an RC scope, so I want to check that it's precisely 2000mm.

But then I wonder what their manufacturing tolerance is. do they make their mirrors accurate to the mm in terms of focal length, or is there some variability?

I figure measuring the plate-solved focal length and testing against field flatness would enable me to zero in on the correct setup for my scope from an optical standpoint, rather than a 'well that's what the spec sheet says' standpoint because products can vary from their specs, as we know.

Cheers

Markus

RickS
24-10-2018, 02:24 PM
You might find this discussion helpful, Markus: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=148213

Stonius
24-10-2018, 02:49 PM
And yes, I did. Thanks!