PDA

View Full Version here: : Takahashi Bino-TSA102S

Kunama
15-10-2018, 02:52 PM
The last little piece of the puzzle arrived today so the Bi-TSA102S is now complete.....

Part of getting old is having to down-size stuff :shrug: so after selling the TSA120 OTAs a couple of months ago, I went in search of some TSA102S samples in pristine condition...... the first find meant a drive to Geelong to buy Les's beautiful 102S...... then, after several weeks of fruitless searching, Steve took pity on me and provided his immaculate scope to complete the set...another quick drive, this time to the Blue Mountains....

The 'L' bracket and side plates were home made while the cradles were custom made in Shanghai and arrived a few weeks ago but still the presence of the black handle bothered me.... eventually my OCD won the argument and I sourced some silver carbon tube from China....

After a couple of hours on the lathe today, the machined & polished end caps and carbon tube handle were ready for installation....

First Light for this setup has been and gone and the results are very promising :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

LewisM
15-10-2018, 03:02 PM
My OCD hurts...line up those dewshield decals better :)

Then it'll be perfect.

You always did like green eyed girls :)

multiweb
15-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Noice! :thumbsup:

Atmos
15-10-2018, 03:11 PM
The dual 120s were amazing but at the same weight as a Mewlon 250, it wasn’t light.
Looking forward to a firstlight report.

Kunama
15-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Quit-cha-bit-chin-matey :P

AstroApprentice
15-10-2018, 03:38 PM
Wow! that looks amazing - I love the silver carbon handle...
What do you think about using a common drive shaft for the focusers? EMS have done this on some binoscopes.

LewisM
15-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Ahhhhh...now I can relax.

SkyWatch
15-10-2018, 04:10 PM
That is just mean Jason! ;) I'm sure Matt's OCD won't even think about doing that... (although personally I would keep them separate to allow for slight diopter differences for left and right eyes.)

Although, speaking of OCD: it's great that you lined up the dewshields Matt; but what about the front of the lens cells? Otherwise I am sure Lewis won't relax after all... :whistle:

Seriously though: its looks amazing Matt: fantastic effort!!! - and I must say I like the look of the silver carbon fibre tube.

Now if I can only get to look through it one day... :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Congratulations again,

Dean

LewisM
15-10-2018, 04:13 PM
You just had to go and point that out... I...am...starting...to...shake....

:lol:

The Mekon
15-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Brilliant Matt,

This would have to be a "first" for making up not just one TSA binocular, but now a second.
But I am glad I got to view through the TSA120 setup before you split it.

Your work is second to none

John

Lognic04
15-10-2018, 04:25 PM
WOW!!!
Spectacular!!!

Kunama
15-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys, I have used them for a few hours so far and they are performing very close to their TSA120 brethren. Superb on planetary and lunar views, and surprising on DSOs.

The new setup is 4Kg lighter and $3.5K cheaper so I am in the good books with the CFO again....

Jason, I do have plans for a common drive for the focusers but will build it with a clutch to allow for the .25 diopter difference in my eyes as well as making it useable by guests.

Dean, I have thought of aligning the cell inscription rings as well but am really trying to resist as both OTAs are perfectly collimated ...

John, I am not allowed to buy any more scopes at least for this decade.....
These are working very nicely and especially well with my favourite Pentax XF8.5mm pair.

I actually sold off all my leftover aluminium etc to Peter Bobroff a fortnight ago so that I wouldn't be tempted to build anything new...

LewisM
15-10-2018, 04:35 PM
Dibs on the FOA...SERIOUSLY

Exfso
15-10-2018, 04:56 PM
A thing of beauty:eyepop:

croweater
15-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Another great job Matt. Very nice. Cheers, Richard

sharpiel
15-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Just beautiful, meticulous work.