PDA

View Full Version here: : Detect exoplanets by yourself with the cheapest equipment

alfa015
13-10-2018, 07:10 AM
Hi guys,

I detected my first exoplanet (hd 189733 b) and made a video about it showing step by step how I did it. I thought it could be useful for the people interested in the topic or already starting with transit photometry.

The star has an apparent magnitude of 7.7 and the exoplanet produces a drop of 2.8% during almost 2 hours.

I used a tele-photo lens (the Pentacon 135 mm f 2.8), a CMOS camera (ZWO ASI 120 MM) and an equatorial mount (Skywatcher EQ3-2)

I also have a dual-axis motor drive, but a simple one that only controls the right ascension would be enough.

I bought most of the items second-hand from Ebay and I spent around 300 euros.

To set up the tele-photo lens and the camera I have a couple of guide rings and in order to focus the tele-photo lens, I have to separate it 33 mm from the camera by using for example 2 M42 extension rings, one of them 28 mm long and the other one 5 mm.

Now, the steps to detect the exoplanet are the following:

1. Find out when is the exoplanet going to transit the star with the
Exoplanet Transit Database.

2. With a program called SharpCap, take for example 5-second
exposures with a gain of 1 for 3 hours.

3. Once the transit has finished, with a program called ‘AstroImageJ’
open all the images, select the target star and for example a couple
of reference stars, and perform multi-aperture photometry to
detect the light curve.

I think it is better explained with a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHCppdWYs6w&list=PL3RiFKfZj3pv1ZqpFxuZinoGtUGEO ankw

dpastern
17-10-2018, 02:00 AM
Nice!

silv
17-10-2018, 03:07 AM
Cool. Another guy posted an article he wrote the other day on the same subject. He described a visit at a nearby group of ppl who also do what you're doing.
From his PDF (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=170592)
With this, recruiting more amateurs for the task at hand makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the tutorial :)

alfa015
20-10-2018, 11:21 PM
Thanks a lot for your kind words! I really appreciate them :)

alfa015
22-10-2018, 01:42 AM
Oh thanks for the pdf link ! very interesting :)