PDA

View Full Version here: : M27 JPEG vs RAW

casstony
12-10-2018, 11:21 AM
This is 27x2 minutes jpegs from last night, stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop. I've only been using jpegs from the camera so far but took RAW as well this time.

I can view RAW in Adobe Bridge but I don't know what to do next: do I have to convert to TIF then stack in DSS? Or can the stacking be done in Photoshop?

(polar alignment was a little off I think)

Saturnine
12-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Stack the RAWs in DSS and the stacked image will be converted to a Tiff file that can then be processed in whatever program you have, PS , Gimp etc.

casstony
12-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Oooh… previously when I've opened DSS I've only been able to see jpegs; I just found the box in the bottom corner where I select RAW and they show up - magic what these new fangled machines can do when you know how :)

Saturnine
12-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Should have added that there is a dialogue box where you select what format to load into DSS but you found it anyway. Have fun now, you're on your way.
I'm far from an experienced imager or computer nerd but have had patient mentors to help me on the slippery path.

casstony
12-10-2018, 12:04 PM
So I was able to stack and process the RAW images - thanks Jeff.

Now I guess I need to spend more time imaging an object to take advantage of the extra detail? Also need to do some reading about processing.

cometcatcher
12-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Excellent shot of the Dumbbell!

raymo
12-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Great shots, especially the first one, but you need to get your stars round.
raymo

casstony
12-10-2018, 06:47 PM
Better PA and less wind should help with the round stars. I might give it another go tonight, although it's getting a bit bright in that direction for me with the Moon reappearing.

My mount did an impression of a manic Lost In Space Robot during setup last night but then went ok - the dec was slewing rapidly back and forth while RA was slewing - hope that's not an omen.