PDA

View Full Version here: : Newbie Horsehead

Gavin1234
08-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Hi, I usually stick to the beginners forum being new to this however I think I’ve pretty much finished with this image (for now anyway) so I thought I’d show it to a bigger audience.

Feedback and suggestions are very welcome.

It’s 134 x 5 min subs. Taken on a ASI071MC through a SW Esprit 100 ED on a CGX mount from my backyard in Kellyville, Sydney. Stacked & Processed in PixInsight.

Here’s a link to it on Astrobin; https://astrob.in/full/370503/0/

LewisM
08-10-2018, 11:31 PM
Looking at the massive full res, I can see left side - mostly at the top - tilt. The right corners look OK.

11 hours is a good whack of data... wish I could get half that :( I think there is more detail you could coax out of those 11 hours yet.... I gave it a crack

petershah
09-10-2018, 01:55 AM
lovely shot there Gavin

Gavin1234
09-10-2018, 02:15 AM
Thanks Peter and Lewis.

Lewis, sorry to ask what is probably a silly question but what is tilt? Is that rotation? Your version looks fantastic, how did you get so much more color?

Placidus
09-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Lovely work, Gavin. Very good colour, lots and lots of depth. Possibly a tiny bit over-smoothed so the detail is starting to posterize a bit. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

LewisM
09-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Tilt means one corner of your camera/image train set-up has a slight tilt in one direction, meaning the image sensor is not orthogonal/perpendicular to the scope itself. This manifests as elongated stars/slight out of focus issues in corners - in your case, top left side. It's only noticeable in the full res image, but it is there. There is a small amount bottom left too.

Colour was tease out gently in PI using a few tricks, saturation boosts, masked stretches etc. There is a LOT of data even after I just did a simple screen transfer stretch which I then enhanced with saturation and the like.

strongmanmike
10-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Pretty good shot Gavin :thumbsup: ...and Lewis looks to have demonstrated there is a little more lurking in that data too :)

Mike

multiweb
10-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Very nicely done. Good color too. :thumbsup:

Ross G
18-10-2018, 09:42 PM
A very nice looking Horse Head photo Gavin.

Lots of detail and great colours.

Good luck.
Ross.