PDA

View Full Version here: : Transport and postage of parts

Tom359
02-10-2018, 09:38 PM
How are people generally posting their components when sold or traded, specifically fragile and heavy gear such as actual scopes and mounts?

redbeard
02-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Hi Tom,

I, as well as a friend, have used Greyhound Freight in the past and very impressed.

Shipping a Meade 10" LX200 with tripod, wedge and accessories. It was over 5 years ago though.

Cheers,
Damien.

Giritboy
02-10-2018, 10:34 PM
It's a good thread to start Tom.

So far it looks like Pack&send allows parcels below 1 meter.

Regards,
Girit

casstony
02-10-2018, 10:49 PM
If you use Pack an Send it has to be personalised service, not the online service. There's no insurance for scientific instruments (which includes telescopes and mounts) using P&S online, even if they accept an insurance payment.

There was a thread a couple of years back where one of our members had a battle with P&S over a lost package (expensive mount) booked online. - P&S were utter boshteds about it too.

Outcast
03-10-2018, 12:43 AM
I've used an online freight service called e-Go; e-go.com.au

I've sent expensive guitars, amplifiers & recently had an LX90, 8" shipped up from the Sunshine coast.

Never had a problem with them; they offer a range of pricing options & discounts depending on door to door, door to depot, depot to depot, etc...

Having the LX90 shipped to Cairns was $150 depot to depot vice Pack & Send who wanted $360.

You would need to look at their insurance terms and conditions though, I don't think they cover items with glass in them but, that said, my scope was carefully packed & arrived safe & sound. Nothing I've sent or received has ever turned up damaged (touch wood for the future), great service at a reasonable price

Tom359
03-10-2018, 08:08 AM
Thanks for responses all, this will no doubt be helpful. Interesting about the scientific instruments part.

Wavytone
03-10-2018, 02:17 PM
I've used Fedex and they have been fantastic, every time.

kencas
04-10-2018, 09:48 AM
I use Smart Send as they have always been exceptionally reliable, give you a range of options (speed of delivery, signature, insurance, lift-back, etc), and they pick up from my door. I couldn't recommend them highly enough!
Ken.