PDA

View Full Version here: : DSS stacking issue

Karlzburg
30-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Trying to stack images from last night and it'll stack them on top of each other and not line up stars so it looks crappy. Not sure what I've changed from last lot I stacked, nothing really.
Rather stumped at what is going on...

Karlzburg
30-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Looks like this

silv
30-09-2018, 04:26 PM
You could upload screenshots of all the settings pages in DSS so we can have a look. Or you search for screenshots with proper settings online and compare them to yours.
Or you could take only batches of 5 consecutive! frames (45 seconds frames are they?) and check whether they get stacked properly. This is assuming your tracking wasn't the best and the field shifts.

Edit: just seen your photo result. Test with a batch of old frames not from last night. Do they still stack fine with the settings DSS currently has?

Karlzburg
30-09-2018, 05:13 PM
here are the settings

xelasnave
30-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Look at each sub I feel you may have one that should not be there causing things to go odd.
Alex

RyanJones
30-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Hi Karl,

I've never had the exact result you're getting however I have had issues when stacking " average ". I usually have it set on Median Kappa-Sigma Clipping. I think when i used average, I ended up with a big screen of white.

DSS would have warned you but just make sure all of your subs are exactly the same length too. I'm not sure if you have an intervalometer or you are using the scope or software to time the subs.

Karlzburg
30-09-2018, 06:16 PM
I use an intervalometer to do all the subs, I tried it again to stack only a couple and starting heading in the same direction as the pic below.

I forgot to add I had the barlow attached when doing those subs. Going to use the wife's mac to stack as when I change to meridan it tells me my lappy has the memory to process that way.

RyanJones
30-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Will your laptop allow you to just stack in median at least ?

See how you go on the Mac.

Only time I've had that happen was when I was using DSS live.

Karlzburg
30-09-2018, 07:25 PM
I've scrapped those pics and spent a bit of time getting polar align to spot on. Getting minute subs with no movement. Trying out trifid as I type :)

raymo
30-09-2018, 09:11 PM
It doesn't matter how long each sub is, or what ISO each sub is. When you
mix sub lengths and ISOs it lists the total integration time for each individual
set of subs, and the total integration time for all the subs, and then stacks them. I've been mixing subs for years without any problems, as long as each set of subs has matching darks, or no darks.
raymo

Karlzburg
30-09-2018, 09:39 PM
I tried both darks and no darks, same result. I gave up on it and took better subs tonight. I've mixed different iso and times before no problem.

The set up is doing tarantula nebula atm.

RyanJones
30-09-2018, 10:10 PM
If it makes you feel any better Karl, I've just spent nearly 2 hours aligning and then finding NGC300, changed the battery in my camera and let it do it's thing. 1 hour in and i went to check my tracking. It had started to go off. A small adjustment and I switched back to camera control and my scope's power supply died :(
First clear night with no moon for a while and as always happens..... something else went wrong.
Time to make myself a more reliable power supply.

Karlzburg
01-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Now that would've sucked, My power supply made a beep 30 mins in and was a quick rush to get the charger going.