PDA

View Full Version here: : New generation of DSLR???

Merlin66
26-09-2018, 09:54 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45627055

Don't know if this with impact on the astronomy market....maybe when a Mono sensor and flip out view screen comes along????

cometcatcher
26-09-2018, 11:26 AM
I'd like to see an astro cam with screen and memory card to make it stand alone.

DarkArts
26-09-2018, 12:06 PM
Other than the second card slot (which wouldn't bother me), what makes it so good? :question:

But more competition in the market place is welcome. (My first digital camera was a Panasonic with Leica lens - bought it at Akihabara in Japan in 2002).

xelasnave
26-09-2018, 03:56 PM
I was thinking ...would an improvement be gained by a chip sensor curved the suit the incoming data?
I ask because I recall a Meade 12 inch that used a curved photgraphic film plate.
Alex

xelasnave
26-09-2018, 03:57 PM
Anyways who cares if the camera has it some salesman will sell it☺
Alex

billdan
26-09-2018, 04:48 PM
A sensor with a curve would have to be designed for the telescope that is to be used, e.g. the field curvature of a Refractor is a different radius to the field curvature of a SCT.

xelasnave
26-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Yes sorry that was the point.
Mmmm domestic changing lens would be out.

So we have the sensor curved to match my scope ☺ for field testing...is there an advantage like presumably in the Meade 12 inch.

I expect your stars would be perfect all the way out.

Alex

billdan
26-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Alex, it would be more practical to obtain a field flattener (optics) that is designed for the telescope in question.
A camera with a curved CCD sensor would lock you into a corner and can only be used on one type of telescope.

JA
26-09-2018, 06:02 PM
There would be significant advantages with a curved sensor in helping reduce or eliminate the effects of field curvature aberrations. This is where the image of a flat object, like say the night sky at infinity focus, is slightly defocused in the corners/edges of the image frame, whilst sharp in the frame centre. If you use less of the glass (stop down the lens), the effect is reduced at the cost of light collection.

A while back I posted an article on curved sensors under development by SONY (I think)

Best
JA

xelasnave
26-09-2018, 08:07 PM
Thanks JA.
Now lets plan a new astro camera and scope configuration and ask Sony to send some sensors for testing.
Alex

xelasnave
26-09-2018, 08:08 PM
A dragon fly array using curved sensors would be a step ahead maybe.
Alex

xelasnave
26-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Could you build a curved sensor with a built in filter or set it up dedicated to one band.
Laying the filter on the sensor should be better????
Alex

JA
26-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Hi Alex,
I love the Dragon-Fly thing and would like to implement something along those lines in the future. I've collected 3 lenses and have some camera options, but need to design and build a fixture for all 3 lenses. Unfortunately or fortunately(?) other "distractions" prevail at the moment.

Best
JA

Wavytone
26-09-2018, 09:32 PM
I'd expect the sensors from these to be available in cooled astro cameras (QHY, ZWO etc) reasonably quickly. The real question will be price, given the current crop of astro cameras with M4/3, APSC and full frame sensors...

Curved sensors solve nothing for astronomy - any scope with field curvature that doesn't match that of the sensor will still require a correcting lens to deal with the mismatch. And they're useless with zoom lenses.

Curved sensors only make sense if the intention is to match a specific fixed lens made in significant numbers, such as industrial cameras, or the compact camera market (Sigma DP1, and similar cameras).

xelasnave
27-09-2018, 12:48 PM
Make one for f4 and one for F5... that would make a lot of folk happy.
Alex

xelasnave
27-09-2018, 12:55 PM
I found this....
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.dpreview.com/news/8015076922/sony-patents-400mm-f2-8-lens-for-a-curved-medium-format-sensor.amp
Alex

xelasnave
27-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Could you place a curved dedicated filter on a flat sensor?
Also if you are working with a curved sensor would it become viable to use faster reflectors...so this new 2.8 may mean we could use a 2.8 reflector as wouldnt the curved surface remove the problems?
Alex