PDA

View Full Version here: : First image post

Ant0nio
26-09-2018, 12:15 AM
Hello all,
I thought it was time to emerge from the shadows & post my first image (it's cloudy here tonight).
So here it is, a stack of 15 x 15 sec using the cameras auto stacking feature & minimal histogram stretch in Photoshop. This is all very new to me, I bought the camera about a month ago to do some live viewing for the benefit of my old man & I'm just starting to get my head around the camera settings & post processing. Your thoughts & constructive criticism are welcome.
Clear skies,
Tony

RyanJones
26-09-2018, 06:37 AM
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the game :)
Good first attempt. Well done
Which scope were you using to take this shot ?
Are you using any tools to focus ?
If you want greater clarity in your final result, use more subs. Try capturing 100 or so to start with then grow from there.
My mount isn't very good so I can't get longer than about 25sec subs but it appears from your signature you have some really nice stuff. You should be able to capture much longer exposures than 15 seconds.

Ant0nio
26-09-2018, 06:45 AM
Thanks Ryan,
30 second exp. seems to be the best I can manage ( can't see the SCP & haven't got my head around the drift method yet). The scope was Williams Optics Zenithstar 70, focusing tool is my thumb & forefinger.
Cheers,
Tony

RyanJones
26-09-2018, 07:54 AM
That's fair enough. My mount is too stuttery to get away with even 30sec so it's not the end of the world.
As far as focus goes, I'm a thumb and forefingers man too. It might be worth getting hold of a bahtinov mask to get more accurate focus though. My focus isn't always that good even with one ( I'm not spending enough time making sure it is spot on ). Having said that, you'd be surprised the difference it makes when you get the focus better.

xelasnave
26-09-2018, 11:31 AM
Very respectable image I congratulate you on your fine achievement.
Keep them coming.
Alex

Sunfish
26-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Regarding drift alignment, this is the only site I have found which sets out the method and geometry from first principals which makes it much easier to understand and remember;

http://canburytech.net/DriftAlign/DriftAlign_1.html

Otherwise I have found that encoders such as Argonavis can give you an alignment good enough for 30sec or more if , like me, you can not see the pole.

ChrisV
26-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Nice, live stacking with a camera !

xelasnave
26-09-2018, 04:04 PM
This may sound so basic not to be of use.
Two pieces of wood ..one represents pole and the other represents dec.

Sut with it while board and imaging how you move the pole to stop that imaginary star from drifting.
Try two pens while at your desk.
I find that helps a great deal and gives you a little confidence cause you have it before you.
Use a light as a star if you like and a line where its going the corner for example.
Alex

Ant0nio
26-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Thank you Alex, I certainly will keep them coming. It seems as though Astrophotography may be an incurable condition.
Cheers,
Tony

Ant0nio
26-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the link Ray, I'll make use of that.
Cheers,
Tony:thumbsup: