PDA

View Full Version here: : Does anyone know where to buy 40mm fans that don't vibrate too much?

Stonius
14-09-2018, 03:45 PM
Just received some brushless fans in the post. I was planning to use them to clear the boundary layer in my dob using a suspended wire mount in front of the mirror, but I can feel the vibrations when it is running and I worry that they might transfer those vibrations to the telescope and ruin high power views.

I figure not all fans are created equal, but I wonder how you even find them. 'noise' in the specs I think refers to electrical noise, I believe.

Cheers

Markus

glend
14-09-2018, 05:44 PM
I have used small scroll fans that are vibration free in my 10" Newt to move boundary air. I bought them off ebay for something like $2 each from China. They are like the little fans used in laptops.

iborg
14-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Hi

If possible, running them with a lower voltage will probably mean they run slower, and hopefully, with much less vibration.

Philip

Kunama
15-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Noctua 40mm are the smoothest and quietest I have found :thumbsup: ... but not the cheapest. :sadeyes:

ZeroID
16-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Use 5 volts to a 12 v fan and suspend them on a 'spider' of fishing nylon. I just used the corner holes of the muffin fan housing to make a 4 pointed star to 4 screws in the back of the OTA mirror support. Nylon takes up any vibration easily and slow fan speed means there aren't any to begin with.

luka
16-09-2018, 09:45 PM
Another happy user of Noctua fans. They also come with anti-vibration rubber washer and rubber mountings (maybe not all models). But not cheap, as Matt said.

Shiraz
17-09-2018, 08:55 AM
sunon maglev are pretty good - original equipment in my Starlight Express astro cam, so they have minimal vibration.
I bought a couple of 40mm ones from Altronics last year - or try ebay.

tech info at
http://www.sunon.com/tw/products/pdf/technology.pdf