PDA

View Full Version here: : Best NBN Provider Currently?

PCH
04-09-2018, 01:47 PM
Hey guys,

I know this question gets asked from time to time, but I don't want to rely on old information - hence the repeated question.

So the time has finally come when I can say goodbye to iinet without penalty. They were pretty hopeless at the start in terms of everything really, but as time has marched on the service has been reasonably reliable.

The one thing I don't like is the speed. Speedtest.net tells me I'm getting about 45/15 on a 50/20 plan for $79 a month. But in practical terms at the computer, it's sometimes pisspotically slow, and nver brilliant.

Is there a provider that anyone truthfully recommends?

Cheers in advance :)

julianh72
04-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Aussie Broadband (ABB) consistently rates well on Whirlpool:
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/92

Are the slow-downs time-of-day related? (I.e. peak-hour evening slow-down) If so, this sounds like your RSP could be providing insufficient CVC, but if it's random or continuous, this could point to a deeper issue.

What technology is your connection (FTTN, FTTC, FTTP, HFC, etc) and what speed does your modem sync at? If you are at the end of a long, corroded copper run on FTTN, it is possible that changing RSP won't make a lot of difference, but ABB are reported to be very good at helping customers get the best out of their connection, and pursuing matters with NBN where necessary.

Have you checked out your home's network cabling and Wi-Fi, to make sure that any issues under your control have been optimised? (E.g. get rid of all old phone points other than the actual internet connection, use dual-band Wi-Fi, avoid congested Wi-Fi channels, use Ethernet cabling where practical, etc.)

[Disclaimer: No, I'm not on ABB - I use Pivit FttP, who have a monopoly over internet connections in the community where I live.]

Exfso
04-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Paul, when I was with IINet on a 100/40 plan, during peak periods I was lucky to be getting 10mb/s. During non peak I would get around 90mb/s which is good considering I am 150metres from the node. IINet came up with all sorts of excuses and eventually I got the telecommunications ombudsman involved and my contract was dissolved and I went across to Aussie BB, have not looked back since. Even in peak periods my speed rarely drops below 70mb/sec, they are excellent in my opinion.
Just did a speed test as it is approaching the time when the kids are flogging the net gaming, and got 95.83/32.97 which supports my opinion I reckon.

PCH
04-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Hi Julian and Peter,

thanks for offering your opinions and findings, - these suggestions are exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I'll have a scour around whirlpool but it's looking set for a go with ABB based on Peter and what I've seen so far on whirlpool.

Thanks guys, - appreciate your time :)

The_bluester
04-09-2018, 06:22 PM
I have been with ABB since 2013, to date no performance issues have cropped up that did not relate to the underlying tech (Fixed wireless), cable cuts or equipment failure (Rarely ABB's equipment)

Kal
04-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Just a note that not all NBN is the same. Quality of your service and wether you get slowdowns at peak times is largely dependant on the technology implemented when the government rolled out the NBN into your area. FTTP FTTN HFC etc are all different.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/giz-explains-every-nbn-technology-compared/ explains some of the technologies

The_bluester
04-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Yep. Unfortunately fixed wireless is becoming a real problem child. The now official line is that a FW sector or tower is not considered in need of an upgrade until peak time download falls to 6mb/sec. So 12% of the advertised speed. That is at the NBN level before you even consider a retail provider.

We got to that and lower before they upgraded ours recently. Now we are seeing 30mb or so. No point complaining when we are getting 60% of the headline rate as that is 5 times the upgrade trigger point.

SimmoW
05-09-2018, 09:23 AM
When they rolled it out in Hastings, we used Mate, they were fantastic and great responsive service