PDA

View Full Version here: : Bright light any ideas?

muletopia
28-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Hello Folks,
This evening (28/08/2018) at close to 1921 WST location -34.8 117.26.
(Lumeah met point on cloud free night)

I was walking north on my evening constitutional when the road in front of me lit up as if a ute with white led driving lights was approaching (all my neighbors have such vehicles). I looked up and a dazzling white light, circular and say 1/5 the apparent size of a full moon, was descending with a large component of motion from west to east. Its apparent descent angle was about 45 degrees. It shone brightly white for perhaps 10 seconds then faded rapidly to yellow, much smaller then vanished.

I would like to know what it may have been.

Cheers
Chris

Wavytone
28-08-2018, 09:58 PM
You really don't know ?

muletopia
29-08-2018, 07:56 AM
Nick,
My guess would be reflection from a satellite, but as I don't know and have never seen such a bright event I ask.

Chris

Wavytone
29-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Ok ... first thing is that distance perception is hopelessly deceptive - “descending” may have been the object receding away from you. Well known issue with pilots reporting Venus or Jupiter as UFOs with “motion” or “following the plane”.

You’ll have to consider the alternatives and decide which isn’t possible.

1. Bright meteors. Very fast and not bright enough it seems.

2. Man-made object re-entering the atmosphere. Bright with a trail, but usually they break into pieces.

3. Iridium satellite flaring (reflection off the solar panels).

4. Aircraft with landing lights turned on.

5. Police or other helicopter with a searchlight on.

6. Military aircraft using afterburner (spectacular long flame).

7. Kids setting balloons loose with a light suspended (does happen)

8. Close encounter of the 2nd kind.

9. Pass me another bottle please...

gaseous
29-08-2018, 09:03 AM
A meteor apparently - I see it's been all over the news.

mental4astro
29-08-2018, 01:48 PM
Helicopter very likely. Police chopper has a huge spot light on its nose. Can explain the relatively slow velocity.

If you were in Lumeah, could also be a military chopper as Holsworthy base is next door, particularly if it was heading east and descending too. These also carry huge spot lights. If there was a southery wind blowing too, you wouldn't hear anything either.

Rescue choppers also carry massive nose-set spot light.

I'd say most likely a military chopper. IF it had its civilian flashing lights on, it is easy enough to miss these if the apparition catches you by surprise.

Lee
29-08-2018, 01:53 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-29/perth-sky-lit-up-by-meteor-overnight/10176746

1940h Perth time.....

JohnG
29-08-2018, 06:58 PM
Is called the SX-16 Nitesun, well in excess of 30 million candlepower, used it often enough. :D:P

Cheers
John G

muletopia
29-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Thanks folks,
It was obviously the very well reported large meteorite that seems to have landed a couple of hundred kilometres north of here, thanks Gaseous.
Alex, a little far from Holsworthy since I refer to Lumeah WA

I have never seen such a bright meteorite before, so live and learn.

Cheers
Chris

Lee
29-08-2018, 09:06 PM
You were very lucky.... that's a once in a lifetime sight. I wonder if anyone had any frames ruined by it? :)

mental4astro
29-08-2018, 11:21 PM
:lol:

That makes a wee bit of a difference!

:lol: