PDA

View Full Version here: : Nothing better than ...

ZeroID
27-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Sitting inside on the PC with a clear cold night outside and the Lunt capturing photons while I check on it with Teamviewer. Even the guide graph is boring, almost flat-lining. The weather here has been totally pathetic with clouds, wind, rain and very hazy skies and more to come so I try to grab any clear nights whenever they happen.
It's nice when it all comes together and just works ...:thumbsup:

xelasnave
27-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Hi Brent
Happy to hear about the way you do it...
How? A long cable or what?
Alex

ZeroID
28-08-2018, 05:16 AM
Hi Alex, yep, long Cat5 network cable. The house is networked from the office and there is a network switch in the lounge that connects the TV\Media PC\Sound system. The Ob is about 25 meters away outside so I just got an old network cable from work and laid it out there. It's buried under the lawn a few inches or so. No protection or anything. Been like that for about 3 years now and works perfectly. Another network switch out in the observatory connects to the PC out there. The PC just shows up on the network.
If I didn't have to go out and slide the roof shut when I'm done it could all be managed from inside. Same with the power, heavy duty industrial power cord is hidden along the garden edging. There's an RCD at the supply end in case anything happens but it's been like that for about 5 years now.

xelasnave
28-08-2018, 06:50 AM
Thanks for explaining it all Brent.
I hope all is good for you.
Alex

doppler
28-08-2018, 07:41 AM
I've just started using teamviewer to control my scope laptop from inside the house as well, it really does make things a lot more comfortable. My pier is close to the house so I was able to get a good connection through the house wireless network by adding a plug into powerpoint range extender in the laundry.
Rick

Imme
28-08-2018, 08:05 AM
Next step....grab a USB relay switch block like I did. I can now turn power on/off to everything independently. You won’t even need to go outside!
All monitored in real-time via a night vision equipped USB camera.

I can now do an image run through to the early hours. I set an alarm on the phone, roll over in bed when it goes off, jump on the laptop to close everything down and then roll back over to go to sleep.....so easy, and WARM!

xelasnave
28-08-2018, 12:27 PM
My big plan is to get a 10 mt usb cable☺
I am still sorting things out and frankly if it will all just work I will be happy...I have yet to get the mount to do what I expect☺ but when I get plate solving working I dont really mind being outside.
Plate solving will be a big help in the city.
Up here I have no trouble finding things and could move the scope manualy to usually spot on my target...but in the city I have no idea.

In fact up North ( where I am at the moment..coming back tomorrow) I like to look thru my big binnos while the camera does its thing...just siting under the stars is nice.

Give me a few months and I will probably try to do this.
Brent I think you may recall my plans to add an observatory to the shack up North and that my daughter opposed my plans...well good news I now have planning permission☺

I have decided on a deck and do not think the fact it is one story up will be a problem...with the pole master I can check polar every night with little effort...And given my longest FL is 1000 mm and I like relatively short exposures it will be ok...next trip I will buy a nail gun and put in a ceiling and get someone to quote on the on the deck and get it done...but I will only be meters away from the set up so a 5 mt cable will do the job.

My main thing to address is my lack of processing skill.

But heck I have come a long way in twelve months.
Hope your camera is going well.
Alex

ZeroID
28-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Where my wife works I could get a networked PDM, all power outlets managed over the network then fully automate it. But it doesn't account for clouds and rain and I still have to close the roof up regardless.

But I just built a sky cam from an old security camera housing. Took out the RGB camera and fitted my old SPC900 electronics inside, sealed the clear dome. Should be able to now monitor the incoming stuff from inside. :thumbsup:

ZeroID
28-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Good plans Alex, keep at it. With retirement I'm finding time to do some of the little handy projects I have wanted previously, it's all good.
I'm lucky in that I have a good workshop set up and plenty of resources to tap into to build and experiment. Currently working on a focusser idea and a new spider design. I'll probably sell one of my DOBs so I can buy more mirrors or something and start all over again.