PDA

View Full Version here: : Less clutter now.

Tropo-Bob
24-08-2018, 08:37 AM
I can feel my big-burst of selling activity coming to an end for a while. There are some empty spaces in my house, which at times looked more like an telescope shop/shed rather than a home. Now, I have a bit of silly mourning for what was, so yeah, time to slow down and take stock.

I think I ended up with too much equipment, because things become so cheap after the beginning of this Century and I could afford it. There was also some rewarding of myself in recent years for staying in work. Kinda like work hard, but wanted some rewards now. And yes, being single, I was not influenced by an external controller. :lol:

The reality is that I still have 15 telescopes (many rather ordinary) and over 50 quality EPs (although, some would say I am setting too low a bar for what is quality). I will probably have another burst of selling in the future and there may yet be a few stragglers from this burst.

The point is, I was not selling up to get out of this hobby, nor do I have a health issue. I just wished to have more room and move on some items that I was not using with any regularity.

I also hope that the items, which I sold have brought pleasure to all the buyers. I have received some very positive feedback re this. I was particularly pleased that some were first-time buyers with low post counts, so I hope that this encourages them to be more involved with the IIS Community.

Nevertheless, thanks to all the buyers, particularly for their patience with deliveries. I do post items quickly after payment, but delivery from remote Cairns can take a while.

I hope this does not read like an ad for future sales. I just meant it to be a bit of public reflection by me, which gives IIS Members an insight into what has been going on.

Icearcher
24-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Thanks Bob.

Im happy to have helped you clear out some of the clutter, I now have some great eyepieces that I might not have bought myself if they were new.

Im only at the start of my astro journey and you have help me out a heap.

You were also my first transaction on the classified and you didn't disappoint, everything was handled perfectly.

Thanks a million and I hope to help you clear out some more bits in the future, let me know what scopes you are clearing? :)

Regards
Chris

Shano592
24-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Good on you, Bob.

Sharing your gear amongst the community is always a good thing. If one person got some good use out of it, then it is a good advertisement for the next owner.

Wavytone
24-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Hi Bob,

Yup its good to have a thorough clean out, and even better if someone can put it to good use :)

I'm down to 1 scope now and trying not to collect things I don't need (no space).

sil
30-08-2018, 09:47 AM
Bob I have done a similiar declutter though nobody would notice. Mine is health related and no longer seemed important to hang onto stuff I will never be able to use again, except my good astrogear which i could never hope to replace if things improve for me (doubtful) and i cant yet bear to part with them. I basically gave stuff away (i'm not money obsessed and selling would be stressful) so i'm thinking of donating my c11 setup one day to where it would be used). But you have 15 scopes left still? wow, I havent been that bad, still want to get a 8" dob just because i only have a tabletop dob but cant use on table and want to try a larger dob, eyeing off one a neighbor keeps on his balcony and suffers all the abuses of weather, hoping it'll appear out by the bins one day. now my stamp colllection is staying put (it has a room of its own and about one square metre of floor space so room for another pile of boxes still in there :)

hope you put your reclaimed land to good use.

Stonius
30-08-2018, 11:50 AM
FIFTENN TELESCOPES!?! Are you MAD?!

Just kidding - I'm jealous. Wow, fifteen!. I'd love to see you list them and what each one does for you. I thought I was nuts with 3!

Good on you and more power to your passion. :-)

Cheers
Markus

Jackstar
30-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Thanks Bob, I took new ownership of a diagonal.
Works great and just what I needed before I got a neck injury!
I am using it on an ES ed80, last night was a clear, cold night with great views in the Milky Way. Plus I have got post #2 done.
Take care
Jack

Tropo-Bob
30-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Good to hear from you, Jack and others. I hope the neck injury is nothing serious.

I have been playing with telescopes for over 50 years. However, even at the age of six, I used to run around with my grandfather's binoculars looking at everything, so perhaps I just like optics before even becoming passionate about astronomy.

For the first 22 years of the hobby, I only owned 2 decent scopes, being a 60mm Unitron and big 8" reflector (back in the days when everybody only had a 6"). I still own the Unitron.

I would have liked to have had more equipment back then, but besides being so expensive, I had to buy a house, then start paying it off.

Nevertheless, I brought a 12" Dob from Astro Optical in 1988. That settled me for a few years, but gosh, I have really gone with it since the house was paid off in the mid-1990s and equipment has become so much cheaper.

So other day, I will talk about the main scopes I currently have, but I am about to go check out my new dark-sky site, and hope that the clouds clear as predicted. :)