PDA

View Full Version here: : another focus mod for Maksutov...

morls
17-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Well, having been inspired by others I've lashed out and bought a fine focus control for my Mak. It works a treat, and is worth every cent. I got the idea especially from AndrewJ, and while not up to the standard of Mental's steampunk effort, nor with the aussie flavour of Merlin's, it'll do me.

The good thing is, it slips on and off very easily, while the metal grips the rubber knob really well. I think I'll rig up a lassoo to attach it to the mount so I don't lose it in the dark.

It stops nearly all the shaking, and image shift is much less of an issue :party:

Cheers

Stephen

redbeard
18-08-2018, 01:20 AM
So sophisticated!
Very nice. I'll give it a go on my Mak.

Cheers,
Damien.

ZeroID
19-08-2018, 07:46 AM
A very technical solution, my wooden wonder wheel pales by comparison. ;)

FlashDrive
19-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Highly Technical Achievement ... :thumbsup:

thebonz
19-08-2018, 02:50 PM
A rubber stopper or the like on the end would help prevent any eye damage if you accidentally made contact with your eye in the dark.
John

morls
19-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Thanks John, that's a very good suggestion.

alval
19-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Yeah the shakes and image shift is a pain, do whatever to make it better. I’m on mark three of my focuser mod. The larger disc with a coarse knurl helps with the shakes i can adjust with a finger nail, and the bush behind it helps with the image shift by stopping the shaft slop.
Al.

morls
20-08-2018, 07:02 AM
That's a really nice piece of work Al. I've noticed the shaft slop too. Did you have to take off the back to fit the bush?

alval
20-08-2018, 11:25 AM
No Stephen fortunately the etx has a slight recess around the shaft and I made the bush to suit so I didnt have to take the back off for that. I’m toying with the idea of an electric focuser now , but have to get around the fact the shaft moves in and out as well, so I’m in the planning stages at the moment.

Al

morls
20-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Good that you didn't have to take the back off. I haven't investigated what is behind the focuser plate on my scope, but maybe there's a way to fit a similar type bushing.

I can see why people add other focusers to these scopes. The range of focus is great with the direct-to-mirror system, but it does introduce its own issues. But, I think I'm pushing the mount to its limits as it is so adding a crayford or similar is probably out of the question.