PDA

View Full Version here: : My first 3D print for a weird idea

GOTO
16-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Hi all, polar alignment for me has always been harder than it should be so I use a weird method of laser alignment. To hold it in place I've used tape, blue tac and now a 3D printed bracket.

I found a 3D file on Thingyverse but it had the typical raised legs along the long edge which I filled in very easily with Tinkercad to get the flat base I wanted.

The first attempt didn't work so well when it came off the bed early in the process. The second and third, a spare, were great. So I attached one to the mount and it holds the great little Orion laser holder from Bintel.

Switch it on and align the laser onto Sigma Octantis with the help of binoculars. Then use the laser identified star to position in the polar scope overlay...bazzinga!

I was getting down to 0.13seconds RMS with PHD until recently so got to be happy with that :)

Cheerio
Geoff

acropolite
17-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Nice work. Any chance you can upload the modified file back to Thingiverse and give us a link?

GOTO
17-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Indeedily I can do that :)

Marke
17-08-2018, 06:58 PM
I thought it was illegal to use a laser to shine into the sky ?

OzEclipse
17-08-2018, 08:20 PM
I machined a delrin sleeve to hold my laser in the hollow polar shaft some years ago. It works great.

No it isn't illegal to shine a laser into the sky, it's illegal to shine a laser at planes.

You can easily scan that part of the sky is clear of approaching planes with the same binoculars before turning on the laser. The alignment process is really quick, much quicker & easier than using a polar finder. It never takes me more than a couple of minutes to align.

Joe

sil
21-08-2018, 11:11 AM
So very wrong.

I'll let you haggle with the cops though. Due to idiots we no longer have a common sense approach to lasers these days and owning a telescope is not a license to own a laser. Not an appropriate response to the question. The laws are easy enough to look up for your state/territory.

OzEclipse
21-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Hi sil,

Laws do vary from state to state and I should have noted that. I use my laser absolutely legally. Additionally my laser is not a pointer but custom engineered built into the mount. Nonetheless I use it in compliance with pointer laws which are tougher.

I use my laser, with great care, for activities associated with astronomy and I am a member of an approved astronomical organisation.

This is straight off the NSW police web site. :-

A: Laser pointers with a power output of more than one milliwatt are now prohibited weapons. You must obtain a permit to possess or use a laser pointer that is in this category, unless you use the pointer for activities associated with astronomy and are a member of an approved astronomical association.
Laser Pointers - Questions and Answers - NSW Police Public Site
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/firearms/laser_pointers/laser_pointers_-_questions_and_answers

You are correct that owning a telescope is not a license to own a laser but it is an exemption. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Cheers

Joe