PDA

View Full Version here: : M16/17 panaorama - colour now added

RobF
15-08-2018, 08:16 PM
My first processing effort from 2018 Astrofest. Tried a 3 frame mosaic from M16 through to M17, and would love to say chose to portray this in a "brooding panoramic widefield scene"...... ;)

Ahem......but actually I botched setting the position angle for the camera when started shooting data for this last month - so its actually a fluke I was able to rescue a mosaic at all. :P

This was just the Ha collected to reinforce the LRGB image (colour to follow).

3 frames, each about 9 x 15mins Ha, FSQ106/QHY9.

Larger warts and all image on AB here:
https://www.astrobin.com/full/361455/0/

Thanks for looking.

Placidus
15-08-2018, 08:40 PM
The depth is superb. You've nailed our "Cygnet" just above the Swan. You've obviously chosen to sacrifice contrast in order to demonstrate very faint features.

Svlad Cjelli would say you've thereby confirmed the interconnectedness of all things.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

multiweb
15-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Terrific mosaic Rob. Very deep and detailed. Superb. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

RickS
15-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Great result, Rob! Good to see you haven't got rusty :lol:

ozstronomer
16-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Beautiful Wide field and great processing Rob :thumbsup:

strongmanmike
16-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Great panorama Rob, look forward to see how you handle the colour blend :thumbsup:

Mike

RobF
19-08-2018, 03:34 PM
Thanks Mike and Trish - did try to take the "less is more philosophy" :)

Thanks Marc - pretty happy with it so far

Definitely picked up a few new ideas from your AF talk Rick - helped get back in the saddle :thumbsup:

Many thanks Geoff

Thanks Mike - struggling to beat that into submission currently.....

gregbradley
19-08-2018, 04:22 PM
That turned out very nicely. Only problem is now you really need to do another 2 panels to square it off?

Greg.

RobF
19-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Yes, I'm still making mistakes to learn from Greg. Will be checking position angle a lot more carefully in future. Seemed like a good idea at the time turning off the PA plate solve check in Sequence Generator :sadeyes:

RobF
19-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Here's some colour in an combined HaLRGB blend.

3 frame mosaic, with approx data for each frame:
- Ha 9 x 15mins
- Lum 10 x 5mins
- RGB 10 x 5 mins

Total integration time about 5.5hrs

Larger version here (https://astrob.in/362247/0/)

peter_4059
19-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Epic project Rob. Hats off to you.

gregbradley
19-08-2018, 09:10 PM
Ha LRGB blends are tricky. Your Ha colour seems fine but the background seems to lack other colours. I think I see a touch of green in the background. I get this a lot. It comes from airglow which is often green and shows up in digital camera images. I didn't know how common it was until I started doing a lot of nightscapes and I see it all the time. Sometimes its ridiculously strong.

Excess green is easily gotten rid of though with SCNR in Pixinsight or its Photoshop brother HLVG free plug in.

Then push the blues a tad more. How did you blend the Ha? I don't think anything beats lighten mode.

Greg.

RobF
19-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Thanks Peter - and only possible due to consumption of (moderately) epic volumes fav lager :D :cheers:

multiweb
20-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Great job on the blend Rob. :thumbsup:

troypiggo
20-08-2018, 02:26 PM
I've got a mosaic from Astrofest sitting there to be processed - too scared to start, knowing it's a big effort :( You've done well mate.

RobF
20-08-2018, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure about the green feel Greg - I ran this through SCRN in PI a couple of times with the same feeling. I wonder if its an illusion from all the red in there.

This was my first time using PI's Photometriccolourcal script that does white/colour cal balancing against calalogued stars in the frame based on plate solving. I'm normally inclined to push the blue a bit more, but the overall tone is pretty much what came out of that process.

Ha blends are a bit of a dark art though, and H2 beta is supposed to warrant some blue channel contribution from the Ha.

This was done using the Pixinsight NBRGB combination script by the way. Thanks for thoughts Greg - I'll have to check the histogram again.

RobF
20-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Thanks Marc!

Yes Troy, its nice when something pops out, but mosaic's can be a bit daunting. I had more than a few dead-ends had to back out with this one relearning PI along the way. :) :rolleyes:

RickS
20-08-2018, 07:43 PM
Nice job, Rob! I would like to see some blues as well. It's pretty tricky to get colour, other than red, happening in a HaRGB image but worth the effort!

Cheers,
Rick.