PDA

View Full Version here: : Android - Sky Safari 6 Beta

Shano592
14-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Finally, it seems that we are almost ready to receive the latest offering of Sky Safari 6, on the better operating system! :P

I received an email a couple of days ago, saying that if I wanted in on the beta program, then I had to sign in to the SimulationCurriculum website, and do a couple of other things, in order to get hold of a beta copy.

With no time on my hands as it is, I didn't take it up, but it's good to know that we have not been entirely forgotten.

As for timeframes, I did read online that the final Android release could be as early as late August.

We can only hope.

ChrisV
14-08-2018, 10:15 PM
I think you still have to pay for it, but it's 50% off.

Karlzburg
31-08-2018, 08:52 AM
I'm apart of the beta testing and so far it has been better than 5 hands down

AndyG
31-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Good to hear :) If you have time, could you please elaborate on any improvements?

I'm curious to see if Tiangong-1 has been removed. I still get the alerts occasionally from the phone that it's "rising" (from the dead?).

julianh72
31-08-2018, 11:11 AM
I've been using the SS6 Pro Beta for a couple of weeks now, and it looks like the full release is just a few days away. (iOS version has been available for some time, I believe.)

It is generally very similar to SS5, but the interface is a lot more polished than previously - everything just seems to work "better", and it also seems to be a lot more stable - no crashes to report.

Apart from a bit of general "spit and polish", the main enhancements I've noticed are better grouping and access to the features that you are likely to use for planning a session and then undertaking that session (selecting equipment, observing site, etc) - plus the synchronisation of your data to their own Cloud Store (LiveSky).

I really like the interactive HR Diagram as well (In-App purchase required) - as you zoom in on a target area, you can see the scatter of HR Classifications for the brightest stars in the field of view, with your selected "target" star highlighted - very neat!

AndyG
31-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Thanks Dude,

For the simple way I use it, my only small gripe was having the "info" and "Compass" buttons so far away from each other. I often use the compass mode to double check what I'm looking at, then want the info for it, NGC#, etc. It would be nice if those 2 buttons didn't need a swipe to reach in succession.

1st world problems, I know :P

Karlzburg
31-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Tiangong 1 is dead and buried:lol:

Karlzburg
01-09-2018, 09:17 PM
You can configure how you want the buttons to be and which order you'd like them.

Go into settings and look for appearance and behaviour, in the behaviour section at the bottom is configure toolbar. Click on that and will give you a list of what's in the toolbar and what can be put into the toolbar with check boxes next to them.
Click item, it'll turn blue then with the arrows at the top rearrange to how you like it. It's something SS5 doesn't have. Hope that helps

AndyG
02-09-2018, 09:21 AM
That does help Sir, I look forward to getting the new version. Thankyou :)

multiweb
02-09-2018, 10:28 AM
I see it's available on IOS now. Can't wait to see it on Android. I use it all the time on the field.

Karlzburg
02-09-2018, 06:58 PM
It's been IOS for about 6 months or so as far as I know

Malcolm
05-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Pro is out for Android now. 1.7GB download.

multiweb
05-09-2018, 01:22 PM
Woohoo! Downloading it now. :party:

Chapstick
05-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Might be time for a new phone...or a tablet, anyone got any recommendations?

multiweb
05-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Seems the custom fovs scope/cameras are missing or they have moved? I found some settings under the icon now called observation but I can't seem to be able to display the camera/scope fovs on the planisphere. Under settings the telescope section has a few missing entries. I wish we could import all the settings from 5 to 6.

julianh72
05-09-2018, 06:07 PM
You can import all of your saved SS5 data into SS6. The process depends on whether you were saving them to local storage, or backing up to Google Drive. Instructions are at the top of the Help file in the app. SS6 data is automatically synced to SkySafari's own LiveSky Cloud storage (free for SS6 Plus and Pro users).

All of your equipment settings, FOV indicators, etc, should all be imported, once you have done the one-time import, and will be synced across multiple devices.

multiweb
05-09-2018, 07:59 PM
I saved locally in 5. Will do some reading about transfering settings. :thumbsup:
PS: cool, that worked beautifully! That's where you've got to love android for file management. :)

Malcolm
06-09-2018, 07:13 AM
After buying this I've made probably about a dozen failed attempts to download this app. I think I've downloaded about 4GB of data from my isp trying to get this. I've rolled back PlayStore, turned off auto-update apps, deleted and replaced my Google account, cleared data and cache within PlayStore, rebooted multiple times after doing this and after getting around 450MB it fails with a 495 error. Prior to that error I was getting a "Waiting for WiFi" error when I was clearly connected. Seem to have solved that one only to encounter the 495 error. I have over 5GB of free space. My last resort is to try from a friends place who has NBN wireless, if it fails there I'll be after a refund and re-install 5 Pro. I'm on Telstra ADSL2 here, and my phone is a relatively new Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X.

multiweb
06-09-2018, 07:18 AM
I downloaded a bit over a GB and it just installed without a glitch. I'm using a 5 year old Samsung Galaxy TAB 3.

Malcolm
06-09-2018, 08:12 AM
It would be good if you could get this outside of PlayStore and side-load it to the device. Unfortunately as it's a paid app it's just not possible to prevent piracy. Meanwhile Google PlayStore on my PC tells me it's installed, which it isn't, so the refund button is no longer available. If I can't get this over another connection I've done my money.

multiweb
06-09-2018, 08:44 AM
I'm sure there's a way to contact them and sort it out.

Malcolm
06-09-2018, 09:08 AM
At a friend's place now giving it another go.

julianh72
06-09-2018, 09:28 AM
SS6 Pro is using 2 GB on my phone (1.87 GB for the app, which I assume includes the full Pro star catalogue, and another 128 MB of "User data", which probably includes my in-app purchases etc).

I can't recall how big the full download is, as I've been on the Beta program, so I've had a lot of small downloads in the last few days for Beta patch updates - from memory, it was about 1.5 GB. (I do recall getting a warning that this was a big download, and to check my data caps before installing)

Sit yourself down with a good wi-fi connection, delete the app and then install it again, and it should be good to go.

Good luck!

Malcolm
06-09-2018, 08:23 PM
I finally got it down after having to wipe my phone. Failed twice with yet another error message so I decided to wipe the phone and it came in just fine. Finally! :-)

AndyG
07-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Just bought Skysafari 6 Pro this morning. Despite having it for zero nights so far, it already looks better. Hopefully will make it to my 1st astro club meet here in Townsville on Saturday... should be good :)

Thanks for pointing this out!

skysurfer
08-09-2018, 12:28 AM
Most data do work. I installed SS6 on my Huawei Mate 9 and afterwards I started it clean, exited it, removed the folder Skysafari 6 Pro and renamed Skysafari 5 Pro to Skysafari 6 Pro, and everything worked, except my equipment list which I had to fill in again.

There is a weird bug in it: the Moon is displayed in daylight as a black ball with a white crescent in it.

multiweb
08-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Why did you rename 5 to 6? :question:

Malcolm
08-09-2018, 09:10 AM
"removed the folder Skysafari 6 Pro" That doesn't make sense at all. The Pro6 folder would have contained all the updated info for the app. I think that by doing that you restored v5.

ChrisV
08-09-2018, 10:32 AM
What are the in -app extras to purchase. Are they something new ? Sounds like you can purchase extra catalogs etc ? I currently have v5 pro.

julianh72
08-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Interactive HR Diagram - I'm not sure how much it costs, as I bought it as part of the Beta trial program, and now that I own it, the purchase price doesn't show up

PGC Extension Database - adds 3 million galaxies - $7.49

UCAC5 Extension Database - adds 75 million stars - $14.99

julianh72
08-09-2018, 01:31 PM
You need to COPY the SS5 data into the SS6 folder, not delete and replace the SS6 data. I suspect the SS6 folder structure might contain some important file(s) which you may have deleted.

skysurfer
08-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Thanks.
I'll try it.

ChrisV
15-10-2018, 09:11 AM
I finally upgraded. Took a while to find everything as the menus have changed a bit. But has a much better feel now and some nice features like graph object - good for planning. No crashes with orbit object anymore!

julianh72
21-11-2018, 10:16 AM
SkySafari 6 Plus and Pro are 50% off at the moment - I'm not sure how long the discount will be around:

https://skysafariastronomy.com/ss6-neaf.html#ss6-pro