PDA

View Full Version here: : Light spill

Peter Ward
08-08-2018, 12:06 AM
Had some fun tonight with further testing of the Sigma 105mm F1.4 with a DSLR

This will definitely need a re-shoot from a dark site :)

Link is here (http://www.atscope.com.au/BRO/TestReports/Sigma105WF.html)

Ryderscope
08-08-2018, 12:16 AM
Good to see you giving the 60Da a run Peter. Looks like a nice lens. Were you tracking for the 30s exposures?

JA
08-08-2018, 12:31 AM
Sensational :thumbsup: - It would be great to see the result from a dark site as you've suggested.

Best
JA

skysurfer
08-08-2018, 05:54 AM
Amazing !
I recognize the Capricornus constellation top right with Mars and Saturn (still in Sagittarius) but where are the brighter of the latter constellation ? Should be above the Lagoon and Trifid, but where ?

How far were you from Sydney ? I guess > 100km e.g. Katoomba or further. Or Bateman's Bay.

Recently I captured Eta Carinae from Springwood which is closer and cound filter out the LP wather well, but this is better.
BTW the white LED pollution of Sydney is for me easier to filter out than the ugly orange HPS light pollution.

Peter Ward
08-08-2018, 09:42 AM
:lol: I’m actually in Sydney! (Sutherland Shire) .... Katoomba and Bateman’s are dark sites as far as I’m concerned :D. Tha’d be luxury lad.

Placidus
08-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Peter, that's wonderful!

Instead of blinding us with stars, you've managed to emphasise the fine and delicate dust streamers in a way that reminds one of the "galactic fountain" dust streamers coming out of NGC 253.

Best,
M

gregbradley
08-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Very impressive.

Greg.

OzEclipse
08-08-2018, 09:42 PM
Peter

I wouldn't have thought you could get those skies anywhere within 100km of Sydney. Excellent mosaic and looks like a nice lens to boot.

Joe

Peter Ward
08-08-2018, 10:39 PM
Thanks one and all...it was really just some fun. The lower right of the mosaic has some serious sky glow that would be nigh impossible to fix. That said, I can see the attraction of wide field DSLR images. Virtually point and click. Add a dark sky...clearly not my backyard... :sadeyes: and the results can clearly be remarkable. Watch this space :D

skysurfer
09-08-2018, 05:37 AM
Well, that is 20km south ? We stayed there last Feb in Kirrawee, close to Sutherland Shire and on one clear night there it looked not too bad, even slightly better than in my home town in Holland.

Slawomir
09-08-2018, 06:01 AM
Very nice mosaic Peter and it clearly shows the extent of light pollution in the suburbs. It was even worse when we lived in Rockdale overlooking Sydney's airport, or in Milton / Paddington near Brisbane's CBD. That's is one of the reasons why we moved to a very small town.