PDA

View Full Version here: : Mars during July dust storm

MLParkinson
05-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Mars was at a favourable opposition at the end of July 2018. Here are my best attempts at imaging the red planet using a 5-inch Televue refractor. My images are out-classed by those produced using large reflectors, but I am still pleased with the amount of detail captured using such a small telescope. My impressions are that the dust storm gradually abated and the clarity of surface features improved during July.

https://flic.kr/p/28rwoYR

astronobob
06-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Cool images Murry, interesting the differences over near a week, thats for sure,,, good stuff.
Nice presentation too :thumbsup:

MLParkinson
11-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the kind words Bob. I'm not kidding myself - I have a long way to go before my planetary images are comparable to the high standard of images posted on this forum. Even so, I am proud of what I am achieving with my little refractor, and I am amazed at the amount of detail modern digital photography allows us to capture. During my childhood a long time ago last century, images of the quality of mine were only recorded using large professional observatories at premium sites with excellent seeing conditions. Now my amateur images are of the same quality, but mediocre. We have come a long way.

Derek Klepp
12-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Murray great shots with the 5”.If you want to see some planetary with a 12” check out Steve Massey’s website he really does get the most out of his equipment but has been imaging over such a long period you can see this evolution of technology.