PDA

View Full Version here: : For you F1 fans

Exfso
03-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Shock, Dan Ricciardo not re signing with Red Bull, he has signed with Renault for 2 years. He was being treated as no. 2 in Red Bull I reckon with the golden haired Max being treated like royalty.

billdan
03-08-2018, 11:30 PM
That is a shock, why sign up with Renault when they are so unreliable?
I thinks its downhill for Danny boy from here on.

Exfso
04-08-2018, 01:40 AM
I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye. I reckon Red Bull probably did not want to pay Dan the same as Golden Boy, when arguably Dan is the better all round driver. Max is a loose cannon and yeah he will probably mature, but they already have an excellent driver who is already very mature, but unfortunately they don't see it that way. I believe that Renault are probably offering him a better deal and eventually with their resources will overcome their engine problems. Red Bull have taken on the very suspect Honda and this may well take a lot longer to get sorted. Time will tell, one thing is for sure the general public are not privy to all the ins and outs of the F1 circus. I would also bet that maybe Mark Webber may well have been involved in the decision making process as apparently he and Daniel are quite close. And lets face it Webber was well and truly shafted by Red Bull. Oh yeah and a couple of months ago there was a very strong rumour that Adrian Newey had been talking with Renault, that could be another possible fly in the ointment.
Interesting times in F1 for next year that is for sure.

Kunama
04-08-2018, 06:26 AM
I think this might turn out to be a great move for Dan.... reminds me of Michael Schumacher's 1996 signing for Ferrari.... people thought he was crazy.......

Andy01
04-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Hopefully this will be Dan’s version of Lewis leaving McLaren to Mercedes, & not Alonso’s Ferrari to McLaren disaster.... an interesting season ahead methinks 😊

OzEclipse
04-08-2018, 02:35 PM
This could be a good move for Dan. Renault have been improving since reentering F1 and teams that build their own cars engine and chasis seem to do better. Red Bull have not been able to get past Mercedes or Ferrari these past years and they are ditching the Renault engine and moving to a Honda engine.

Williams won several wdcs with Renault engines. Renault are not a minor player nor a slouch in the f1 world. They bought Benneton around the turn of the century did quite well then changed the name to Renault and if we're going to invoke Alonso analogies, Alonso won his only two world championships with Renault, and none with Ferrari.

It will be an interesting season next year that we don't get to watch. :sadeyes:

clive milne
04-08-2018, 03:22 PM
RB made their bed in Baku ~only one pillow and the initials "MV" embroidered on it~

Throwing a ferret in to Red Bull's chicken shed would have been an irresistibly delicious prospect for Renault.
Abiteboul was probably laughing so hard that a little bit of wee came out.

Dan has his work cut out for him however, with Hulkenberg in the other car... Arguably the most underrated driver on the grid, imho.

Pity that the racing is seldom as entertaining as the hustings.