PDA

View Full Version here: : CGEM upgrade worth it?

Lognic04
03-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Hi all,
Do you guys think it would be worth selling my CGEM and buying an eq6-r or az-eq6 as the CGEM is not ideal for imaging? (Doesnt guide as well as i'd like it to.)
:question:
Thanks

ChrisV
04-08-2018, 04:41 PM
Well someone has to start the comments.

What's wrong with the cgem? Once I cleaned out mine and sorted out the backlash it has produced nice images with my scopes. Well I think they are okay, but it is my first mount for imaging. I can get sub 1" rms guiding on good nights.

But I wouldn't mind an azeq6 some day , or a ....

billdan
05-08-2018, 04:53 PM
As far as I'm aware the CGEM is an EQ6 that uses servo motors instead of stepper motors. Both have the same final gear/worm ratio and the same payload capacity.

Having owned an EQ6 the main issue with them is slow response time in DEC due to backlash in the final gear.

The mighty EQ8 when it was first introduced had issues with DEC backlash, but I haven't read any complaints about the EQ8 in the last 12 months so that may not be problem any more.

To overcome backlash in DEC, I always guided in DEC one direction only and relied on a good polar alignment to take care of the the other direction.

Going to the latest EQ6 variants I think is a sideways move, you may be better off looking for a mount that can handle a heavier payload and has less backlash in DEC.

As Chris asked, what issues are you having guiding with the CGEM, RA or DEC?

Cheers
Bill

Lognic04
05-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Mostly RA, but intermittant issues in dec.

billdan
05-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Have a read of this document Logan, I think it will give you better insight as to what is happening during guiding and you may be able to improve your situation.