PDA

View Full Version here: : New telescope

chrissarah
28-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi Guys,
I know you guys bagged out the 127 mm celestron that i purchased... but i tell you its given me the ability to convince my wife we need a decent one
so maybe its not so bad... after learning how to use the equatorial mount i have found saturn although it appears rather small... maybe thats normal.. im new remember... and the mai galaxy was quite impressive... anyway
i been looking around.. and i happen to come across the telescope in a local store SKYWATCHER 130MM Reflector with tracking
could you guys give me some feedback on this telescope..
is it ok... while i have convinced sarah that we need a new telescope.. im not sure how much the word "DECENT" extends to in the budget...
i would howoever for the money im spending to have a tracker on it.. which is why this hit me straight up..

matt
28-01-2007, 09:38 PM
You'd be gaining absolutely nothing in aperture. I wouldn't bother.

Keep saving for something around 8" (200mm) or even 10" in a reflector.

Most folk here will recommend a Dobsonion in that aperture.

I won't get involved in that argument. I've always mounted my scopes on a German Equatorial Mount (GEM)

rmcpb
28-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Don't even think about it, you need to jump to at least an 8" to get a decent return for your hard earned. Doesn't matter what type of scope or mount we are talking about you need to go up by about 4" increments to make the upgrade worthwhile.

Eternal
28-01-2007, 11:44 PM
That's exactly the same scope I purchased over two months ago. I used it for about two-three weeks before deciding I needed more aperture. After reviewing every damn scope out there I ended up going for a skywatcher SW600 (newtonian 8" with EQ5 mount with motors and stainless steel tripod legs) for about $1200. The reason why I opted for an EQ mount instead of a Dobson was becuase of my interest in astrophotography.

I think it's fair to say that anything from 8" up, whether it be a GSO dob or a skywatcher newtonian, you'll be getting good value for money.

Gama
29-01-2007, 02:38 AM
Dito with all of the answers, you really need large aperature. Look at the second hand prices, as theres always a bargain going.

ving
29-01-2007, 02:09 PM
$400 for a 8" GSO dob. :)

acropolite
29-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Ditto with the others, 8 inch is really the minimum you should consider.

duncan
29-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Having considered the options i think i'm going to get a 12"Meade Lightbridge (about $1500.00) and then save to get Argo Navis for it ($1130.00).This way I'll have reasonable portability, excellent viewing capabilities visually and eventually the capability to do my astro photo stuff as well. Anyone got any thoughts?:)

rmcpb
29-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I like spending your money :)

Now you won't be disappointed with that choice.