PDA

View Full Version here: : 24 panel Milky Way mosaic

Synecdochically
01-08-2018, 06:48 PM
This is a 24 panel mosaic of the Milky Way core and the Rho Ophiuchi region. The full size image is around 380MP.

For a 50% downscaled (95MP) version, click here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yzGdqimwOvEP8oUZzcYcMxGxmY gG4gVk. Be aware it's a ~120MB dowload.

I took this from somewhere between Stanthorpe and Texas, QLD, in Bortle 1/2 skies with no moon.

Gear/software used is:

Nikon D5200

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 at 135mm f/4

Skywatcher NEQ6

BYN for imaging, Stellarium for pointing, EQMosaic for creating the mosaic pattern and AstroTortilla for platesolving

No guiding unfortunately (my setup for attaching the guide scope to the camera lens had too much flexure).

Each panel is made from the best 9 out of 11 shots, 50 seconds each at ISO1600.

216 shots total, for 3 hours of exposure time.

40 darks, 40 flats.

Processing:

This image was a real challenge to process. I wanted to make the mosaic in Pixinsight so as to not lose quality by going to TIFFs and using Microsoft ICE or the like. In the end I settled on something like this processing method because I was having lots of issues with stitching artefacts. Most everything was done in Pixinsight.

Calibrate & integrate frames (without normalization, because for some reason any normalization made some frames much brighter than others - luckily the lack of normalization wasn't a huge issue because the skies were so dark).

Auto-stretch each integrated frame individually, and apply that stretch to the frame's histogram.

Register the frames relative to each other using MosaicByCoordinates (with distortion correction).

Merge the frames using GradientMergeMosaic.

Apply DBE

Apply SCNR

Various curves transformations (S-curves, adjusting saturation, adjusting colours slightly)

Local Histogram Equalization

Range mask to isolate background

Further curves transformations

Finally I exported to TIFF (although I couldn't export the 380MP version as a 16 bit TIFF, so I downscaled by 50% for this step) and then did further rescaling and a bit of sharpening in Photoshop.

I didn't process this in the most scientific way, but I think it came out looking fairly nice, so I hope you enjoy.

Atmos
01-08-2018, 07:36 PM
No way that I can check out the high res on my mobile but I imagine it’ll be incredible considering the quality of the low res!

JA
01-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Sensational Neil :thumbsup:

Best
JA

Peter Ward
01-08-2018, 08:06 PM
my ipad only allowed a look at the low res version....that said, this image puts to shame many not in the beginners forum (who perhaps should be)

A simply great result. One to be proud of :thumbsup:

Karlzburg
01-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Nice work Neil, I'm outside looking at the milky way and thinking I need a mount for my camera to do a wide shot of the milky way. It's so bright here tonight. I'm in a bortle 2 max zone

Synecdochically
01-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Thanks Peter. I'm not sure I belong in the beginner forum necessarily, I've been doing this for a decent amount of time now, but I'm new to IceInSpace and thought the regular astrophotography section might be more for discussions than posting pictures. As for the high res, definitely take a look at it if you can, I've been doing a bit of a Messier tour of the mosaic, I'm not sure how many Messier objects are in the shot but I believe it's at least a dozen.

Anth10
01-08-2018, 08:30 PM
Awesome space shot!
Successfully stitched together for a brilliant image.
Congrats

kosborn
01-08-2018, 09:23 PM
That's outstanding! :thumbsup:

ChrisV
01-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Tres awesome. :eyepop:

Fernando
02-08-2018, 07:04 AM
Really beautiful!!!

Fernando

Mav
02-08-2018, 10:04 AM
The hi-res is stunning, great work. :)

rcheshire
02-08-2018, 10:04 AM
That's a superb result.

Mickoid
02-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Fantastic! I'd love you to do one like this for the area around the Orion constellation in Summer. Barnard's Loop, Witchhead nebula, M42, Horsehead nebula and even as far as the Rosette nebula in Monoceros would make a fine vista with that lens.

Retrograde
02-08-2018, 05:35 PM
This is excellent. Beautifully done.

billdan
02-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Wow that's really good Neil (and welcome to IIS as well), for only 3 hours of integration time you have done an excellent job.

Cheers
Bill