PDA

View Full Version here: : 14 F-stop Moon

Peter Ward
28-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Oh gawd... another Lunar Eclipse shot.

It took a while to assemble this one. Automated routines didn't cope, so I did it manually in Photoshop CC.

I have to say it brushed up fairly well :)

HDR composite...about 14 F-stops

I really like the shadow line...an unexpected and very subtle blue tinge before the red band on the shadow's edge.

The link is here (http://www.atscope.com.au/BRO/gallery435.html)

RobF
28-07-2018, 11:01 PM
Impressive. And fascinating..... :thumbsup:

Derek Klepp
29-07-2018, 06:53 AM
Great work Peter I noticed that blue colour on a couple of my single shots when I tried increasing the saturation as I was using a camera lens and 2x extender I thought it was probably some type of aberration obviously not.
Thanks Derek

Peter Ward
29-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys...I have seen the “blue fringe” before and given your experience Derek, am now convinced it is real. I suspect it’s a blue non-scattered component from the earth’s atmosphere.

it would be cool to be on the moon to see what a solar eclipse (lunar prespective) looks like from there. :thumbsup:

Dennis
29-07-2018, 04:59 PM
Nice work Peter.

@Derek - here is an effort from the 8th Oct 2014 eclipse taken through my Vixen ED102s F9 refractor. There is a strong indication of a blue/green/yellow, band so I suspect this is a real artefact.

From the filename on my local HDD, it looks like this was a 32 exposure HDR shot with the Canon 5D Mk III?

Cheers

Dennis

Peter Ward
29-07-2018, 06:42 PM
Hey Dennis...that's a great shot. :thumbsup:

Seeing was abysmal (a front moving through and the moon just 19 degrees above the horizon) for my 2018 rendition but the colours clearly correlate between both.

I find the colours really interesting and certainly something I'll try to highlight with the next one.

Dennis
29-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Thanks Peter, I just put the images EXIF Date/Time into The Sky X Pro and it shows the Moon at an altitude increasing from 43 deg, so I was lucky not only with that, but also with the weather.

I am very surprised at the detail and clarity of your image, given the very low altitude, nicely done Peter.:thumbsup:

Cheers

Dennis

multiweb
30-07-2018, 07:41 AM
Looks good Peter.:thumbsup: Good to hear you got anything. Didn't have a chance from western Sydney.

Peter Ward
30-07-2018, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear you were clouded out. The partial phases were hammered closer to the coast, and I nearly packed it in, thankfully a big band of clear sky opened up for the main event.

Ta. The optics I’m using aren’t too shabby ;)

OzEclipse
30-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Beautiful shot Peter. I really like the way you've put the dark side in deep "zone 2/3" shadow zones. I'm convinced the blue band is real.

Fantastic shot.

Joe

Peter Ward
31-07-2018, 08:46 AM
:thanx: Thanks Joe...high praise indeed from the Oz eclipse maestro:) I printed up your circumstance guide before the eclipse ...very helpful :thumbsup:

Martin Pugh
01-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Super shot and very innovative Peter.

cheers
Martin

gregbradley
01-08-2018, 10:31 PM
A fabulous shot and that banding is an intriguing phenomena.

Greg.