PDA

View Full Version here: : NewZWO..questions questions.

xelasnave
26-07-2018, 05:07 PM
I feel foolish.
I rang Bintel and they had an 8 wheel ASI1600MC Cool on the shelf and I could not help myself.
I dont feel confident that I have done the right thing cause frankly it may all be beyond me.
I have yet to instal the filters but I think I have the camera and wheel in place on the scope which is the 80 mm Espirt... I thought set it up on it and maybe try the 8 inch if I can figure it out.On the 8 inch its simple on the 80mm spacing because of the flatner is important..but I think everything is in the right place.
There were no instructions with the wheel but I guess it will need a driver?
The little manual says to download ASCOM before the driver for the camera..if I had not read the lot I would be at step three to be told down load ASCOM first...should have been in parra 1.
Do I have to have ASCOM anyways?
It says to plug in the guide camera to it? Cant I have a seperate finder guider camera to mount set up?
I should have researched all of this but its here now way ahead of time.
alex

Stonius
26-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Yes, ascom is the system upon which the drivers operate. You'll neede to install ascom platform first

Cheers

Markus

Stonius
26-07-2018, 05:29 PM
With the 1600 you *can plug the guide camera into it (it will run at USB2, not 3) to save cables, but you don't *have to. It's just an option. It's the 'onboard USB hub' feature. It saves running the FW and Guidecam cables too

Best

Markus

Lognic04
26-07-2018, 05:31 PM
You now will pretty much need to use Sequence generator pro with the whole ASCOM suite and mount, filterwheel etc connected.
Not sure if you knew this before purchasing??? :shrug:
Quite a bit more complicated than just plug and play as everything has to be connected via SGP.
Good luck with your new cam and steep software learning curve! :thumbsup:

Imme
26-07-2018, 06:02 PM
As you have just set up a very similar system from scratch Logan maybe you could provide Alex withh a little more info than this........especially as Alex was a very vocal supporter of your gofundme request and i believe a financial supporter.

.......a great movie that might be worth a watch is 'Pay it forward'

:)

Lognic04
26-07-2018, 06:11 PM
For sure, id be happy to as he helped me!
Where to start however...
Maybe a video?:question: Quite a lot of info for one video however!

xelasnave
26-07-2018, 06:17 PM
I will survive it.
I had in mind buying much later down the track when I thought it through.
Anyways it is what it is...
I think I will follow the few directions I have and see where I get.
I have learnt heaps since my first panic attack.☺
Alex

xelasnave
26-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Thanks everyone.
Alex

Lognic04
26-07-2018, 06:27 PM
So, a bit of a rough guide:
Install the ascom platform,
Install ZWO drivers, filterwheel driver and EQMOD for a connection to the mount
Connect to the mount via hand control (somehow, my cgem has just a usb port)
Install SGP - powerful automation software.
configure equipment (long process!!!)
From there it should be simple enough - make sure you read up on ASCOM, EQMOD, SGP and mono processing while waiting for the mandatory 2 weeks of cloud to clear! :D
I have barely scratched the surface of what you have to do, definitely read up on it!

Nikolas
26-07-2018, 06:49 PM
very helpful video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcYD828QvSQ&t=4s

Lognic04
26-07-2018, 06:55 PM
^
Very good!
Also, dont forget your darks and bias! (dont forget to plug in and switch the cooler on too!)

ZeroID
26-07-2018, 07:46 PM
1600mc-cool and filters ? Should that read 1600mm-cool ?

ChrisV
26-07-2018, 07:49 PM
It also depends on the software you use.

If you use Sharpcap for the camera, then you don't need anything fo the filter wheel. Sharpcap will interface to it without ASCOM - just plug'n'play.

xelasnave
26-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Getting there.
Got camera going in sharpcap. Could see no wheel control.
Will download SGP tomorrow.
Alex

xelasnave
26-07-2018, 10:24 PM
Yes.sorry.
Alex

Lognic04
27-07-2018, 06:33 AM
Sharpcap doesn't do the wheel and isn't for proper imaging just testing.

ZeroID
27-07-2018, 07:18 AM
Sharpcap works for my wheel, ( ZWO EF 5 ) The controls are in the right side menu under one of the expander arrows. Have you loaded the Software and driver for the wheel ? It's there on the ZWO website. Do that first then plug the wheel USB into one of the camera USB ports. Connect the camera USB cable to the PC and it's all there . You just then set up the filters for each hole. Very easy to do.
I use Sharpcap exclusively, sorry SGP folks but SC is far easier to learn and use and control the hardware.

EDIT: Get the real Sharpcap, not the ASI website version, THAT is a restricted function app. Not sure why they bothered to put it there but guess they had to offer something. Go to the Sharpcap website.

Lognic04
27-07-2018, 07:57 AM
Bbbbut automation! :D
https://bitbucket.org/Isbeorn/nina/wiki/Home
This is a fully automatic, free open source alternative to SGP that I know many people have used successfully to take photos, and it has a better user interface!
It does everything sgp does except more advanced imaging, and I know the people that have made this software :) (called NINA)

kosborn
27-07-2018, 08:17 AM
That's great Alex. Nothing like an impulse purchase! I'm looking forward to seeing your first light pic. :)

Kevin

xelasnave
27-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Thank you Logan.

And thanks to everyone.

I am way ahead of where I was when I set off to pick it up only yesterday.
The pity is I have a rather busy life over the next month, two birthdays, a little hospital,tax return, a Pink concert and a couple of trips up and down the coast.
I will get there I just had a moment where the pile on my plate somewhat overwhelmed me.
I have another problem in all of that with a chap that the police cant seem to manage...and I do so want to avoid wasting time in court over a manslaughter charge☺ anyways its being going on thirty years and I have only recently been involved. I used to let this guy live on my land so he wasnt my problem but he is relocated and I am now but one of the (all the) people who are out to get him...sad really and that is the only way to manage the problem.

Hopefully today I get to paint the inside of the cube with black paint...the curtains are up and work fine.
Processing I need to move forward.
Do you think I could combine the seperate images in photo shop for starters?
Alex

Lognic04
27-07-2018, 09:40 AM
I strongly reccomend pixinsight to use - such a powerful program!
Don't forget to check out NINA - free compared to 130 for SGP.

xelasnave
27-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Any idea what to do with the ring on the left or the two screws. ..the two holes on the ring are unthreaded??
The units on the right I presume dont have to go in as my filters screwed in...
Alex

xelasnave
27-07-2018, 09:52 AM
I will.
Alex

Lognic04
27-07-2018, 10:05 AM
ring on the left - simple t2-t2
Screw filters dont need the masks no.
:thumbsup:

Stonius
27-07-2018, 10:08 AM
I'm just learning myself, and as far as I can tell, yes, pixinsight is powerful and if you have the time to learn it, great, but it's also not for the faint of heart, it's fairly expensive and it's poorly documented for such a complex program - as in, there is literally no manual. You can look at processing videos, but you can't just go 'Hm, I wonder what that does' and look it up in a reference, which is pretty lazy, IMO. To find out, you will need to google the PI forum and read the thread and extract the relevant tidbits of information from the noise of the thread. unless more experienced users know something I don't?

But I guess there's Startools as well. Or you can use Photoshop to a certain extent. I just took the plunge because I figured I'm here for the long haul, I might as well get the right tools for the job and take the pain of that poorly documented learning curve once.

Markus

Lognic04
27-07-2018, 10:41 AM
The whole point is there is no manual :D
You make a workflow that works for you!
If there was a manual all the images would be bad and look the same!

Stonius
27-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Not a manual for workflow, a manual that tells you what the individual components do. There's a difference. :-)

xelasnave
27-07-2018, 11:52 AM
OK I have N.I.N.A. now on the lappy.
SO I can switch on the cooler:D but cant work out how to tell the camera to expose for 30 seconds or at all:shrug: ...and how to get the filter wheel to work?
I will have a break and look again after.
alex

kosborn
27-07-2018, 11:52 AM
"Inside PixInsight" by Warren Keller. It's not a manual but a third party book and it lives next to my left elbow as I sit at the computer. A really good way to come to grips with PixInsight.

Kevin

Lognic04
27-07-2018, 12:11 PM
To be fair, i dont know much about NINA - check out the manual!

Stonius
27-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Thanks Kevin, I will definitely check it out!

Best,

Markus

xelasnave
27-07-2018, 01:33 PM
That is the last resort:).
OK I have printed it up and will read it.
So far so good.
alex

xelasnave
28-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Did not get far with NINA so got a trial of Sequence Generator Pro.

I have set up mount scope and cameras insude the house so I can work on it all at my time frame.
So far Sharp Cap has come closest to getting a working camera so I may get the latest version to see if it can control the 8 unit filter wheel.
I will be back in a couple of days or more with advice of sucess or some new questions.
Thanks for all the help.
Alex

xelasnave
28-07-2018, 11:15 AM
I have now set up everything in the house ... mount is on and tracking the ceiling, capture camera and guide camera in place.

I have downloaded Sharpcap latest version. ..

On screen is Sharpcap and a pop up box showing EQMOD HEQ 5/6 but there is a message "Connect error: Port Not Avaialable.

What have I missed?

I have never used ASCOM but I expect there is a connection between the hand box that I need to the lap top?

I would appreciate any help.
I feel so close now☺
Alex

There is only one lead from the ZWO cooled cam to the lappy.
The usb 2 port on the zwocooled has one lead from it to the filter wheel ..the other at this point is empty..should I plug the guide camera in here?

kens
28-07-2018, 12:02 PM
If I recall right you have an EQ6 mount so you should get one of these to connect the laptop straight to the mount. https://www.bintel.com.au/product/shoestring-usb2-eq6-interface/.

Note that you can get standard USB-serial cables that look the same and cost less but operate at a different voltage and could damage your mount if you connect them to it directly. They will work if you connect them to the hand controller instead.

Alternatively, for now you could connect the guide camera to the mount with a ST4 cable but that would only allow guiding but not goto control from the laptop.

kosborn
28-07-2018, 12:05 PM
You probably have a cable with serial plug on one end and a ST4 (telephone) plug on the other end that should have come with your mount. The ST4 plug goes into the bottom of your hand controller. If you have a serial port on your laptop just plug the other end there. Most current laptops don't have a serial port so you need a USB/serial adapter cable. I got one from Jaycar - they're easy to find. Once you've done what you need to set up with your hand contoller you can then just select "PC Direct Mode" from the Utilities menu on your hand controller and the laptop takes over.

Yes, the usb ports on the back of the camera work as a hub and save you running extra cables from your mount to your PC.

Good luck!

Kevin

Merlin66
28-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Kevin,
The standard SW "upgrade" cable is not an ST-4 cable, just a RJ12 comms cable.....

kosborn
28-07-2018, 12:26 PM
What he said... :)

xelasnave
28-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Thank you very much Ken and Kevin.
I am pretty sure I have a lead like you suggest someplace...I will have a look.
Alex

Startrek
28-07-2018, 02:43 PM
On the subject of ZWO cameras, USB serial connections , drivers etc....

I’m setting up my new laptop next week ( when it decides to finally arrive 🤬)
Installing Ascom , EQMOD, Backyard EOS, Stellarium, Stellarium scope, PHD2, Autostakkert, Deep Sky stacker and Startools etc....

I’m controlling my HEQ5 Pro mount using both options PC Direct ( handcontroller still connected ) via a serial USB adapter and EQDirect USB via a shoestring USB2EQ5 custom cable

When I purchased the Digitech serial USB adapter it came with a mini CD so you would assume one would have to install the respective driver in order to assign a com port for the serial USB adapter ??

In regard to ZWO cameras I purchased the ZWO ASI 120MM to use for autoguiding, once again I would assume you would have to install the respective driver for this camera so the Laptop can communicate to the camera over USB ?

Thanks in advance

xelasnave
28-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Hi Martin.
You will need drivers and usb connect.
I think I have that much worked out.:)
Not much more it seems like sometimes but you learn as you go.
I found the connection cable which may work on the very old eq6 mount but I will go to Bintel on Monday and get one for the new heq5 .
I saw the new heq6 at Bintel the othe day and they look sweet.
Anyways given the age with the old eq6 I will sort out the heq5 five first I need a test run at least to make sure on distance from flatner to chip and its easier to manage better focuser ect.
You sure end up doing a lot of reading in this game.
The stuff I have read over the last couple of days. All on NINA was around 30 pages maybe more..that sort of thing for each different thing you try. And now it seems Pixinsite awaits...but again it may not be for me..I tried it and although in the hands of someone who knew what they were doing .... well lets say as crud as say gimp may be I at least can use it...which is initself a big step for me I guess.
AND I managed to get the cube painted black inside. I bought cheap spray cans that was gloss for 3-40 a can v 8-50 a can for matt black I got 5 cans of the cheap although gloss paint....anyways fate smiled on me as this paint over the ruff surface and it having only a lite clear coat ....the finish is matt for all purposes.:)

alex

xelasnave
28-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Do ya just love it.
Alex

xelasnave
28-07-2018, 04:02 PM
I inspected the paint job and it needs another four cans of the good stuff as there is still a high degree of reflectivity.
Alex

ChrisV
29-07-2018, 10:25 AM
It's looking good Alex !!

xelasnave
01-08-2018, 11:27 AM
I now have everything set up except for the electric focuser which requires two holes drilled in the scope foot and the manufacture of a belt drive...
All cables are sorted and tied.
I have all the programs instaled.
I am not looking forward to turning it all on as I expect the worst even though I have been very cautious to get everything right.
Maybe a little rest to prepare myself for the challenge of getting it to actually work.
The affair has been a bit of a chalenge mainly cause I am old and grumpy but recognising that has been so helpful.
And again thanks for the support from members as without it I know that I could not have managed.
Expect me in a few days with a list of problems..if no problems the celebration will see me drunk for at least a week.
I keep telling myself that it was not that long ago there would have only been a few professional astronomers who would be doing this stuff...
Very happy and now broke...the outflow of cash is extrodinary.
Alex

Merlin66
01-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Alex,
Sounds good....
You can get the XML belts and pulleys from miniBearings, QLD, they supplied all my belt drive focuser needs.
Recommended.

xelasnave
01-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Thanks Ken.
Alex

xelasnave
02-08-2018, 03:44 PM
I powered it all up.
The Ascom EQMOD HEQ 5 V1.29a box says "Connect error: Port not available

I have the new lead going to the mount and the hand box is not in the picture.
The mount has power the usb distributer has power...I cant see anything on the face of things that could be wrong.
Any ideas?
Alex

xelasnave
02-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Here are some photos.
I am wondering if the usb hub is up for it?
The lappy repeatedly makes the noice you get when you plug something like a camera in the usb.
Alex

brisen
02-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Hi Alex

It isn't recognising the COM Port that it is connected to. You need to go into the device manager on Windows and when it opens you are looking for Ports (COM & LPT) in the list that comes up - expand this by clicking on the > and you will see a list open up. From memory you are looking for USB Serial port. Note the number - it will be COMX where X is the number that the link is using. You need to have it connected to the mount and the mount turned on so it recognises it.

Now go into EQMOD and change the COM port to match the number that you got from the device manager. This will ensure that the mount is trying to get through the correct port. Once you change it, it will save and you shouldn't need to fix it again.

The spot you are looking for the COM Port in EQMOD is to the left of the site information box in the window and basically directly to the left of the guiding drop down menu. It will have COMX in the window and a drop down, the X being the port it is currently pointing to.

Brian

Merlin66
02-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Hmmm,
I use Cartes du Ciel with my EQMod set-up...
When you check the ASCOM telescope option you can get a message (similar to yours) and most of the time it means that the EQDir module isn't being seen by the program.
Check the device manager to confirm the EQDir module is being recognised.
I also usually work with low Comm port number (1-6) you can set this again under device manager...
(The EQDir module should be connected to a USB port on the computer and the hand controller port on the mount - no Hand controller used!)
Hope this helps...

Merlin66
02-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Brian beat me to it!!!
As he says............

xelasnave
02-08-2018, 04:24 PM
Thank you so much Brian for helping me I really appreciate it.
The only way I have got this far is by keeping at it.
In fact I am very impressed I have remained cool and methodical.
I am going to have a rest and a cuppa and try later using your advice.
Thanks a million.
Alex

xelasnave
02-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Thanks for your help.
I use Stellarium and the next big thing is to include it in the mix.
I am just so excited that this is happening.
I never liked goto and even moved the mount manually to each object I guess I thought it was all too much but now I just cant wait to be able to control it all from the lappy.
I honestly thought it was beyond my limited ability and hopefully soon that will not be the case.
Alex

brisen
02-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Try to ensure you only plug the USBs into the same USB slots as well. From experience Windows gets upset and confused if you switch ports around.

Brian

Merlin66
02-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Alex,
When you do get up and running under EQMod - your life will change forever - for the better!!!
It just does such a good job.......

xelasnave
02-08-2018, 05:41 PM
Thanks
Alex

xelasnave
02-08-2018, 05:53 PM
For me it will be fantastic.
No one knows the huge effort it is with legs on fire just to get out of bed.
Just running in and out to the scope when imaging is a huge effort so lappy control will make it pleasurable.

Astronomy has saved me from giving up.

Building the cube was a monumental effort...built in the garage a floor below and piece by piece over weeks and months and when I look at it I realise you can overcome difficulty if you just grit your teeth and keep working on the project.

I now find the battery does not seem up to it so before I do anything more I have to bring another battery up from downstairs ..half way now and the rest later before I go to bed.

Funny thing is when working it all will come down so I can take it North.😂
Thanks again.

Alex

xelasnave
02-08-2018, 06:46 PM
OK I have sorted the battery and all is good there.
I went into the control panel on the lappy and selected device manager but I can not see any reference to ports anywhere...so any ideas?
Alex

brisen
02-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Down towards the bottom of the list. It will only show up if you have it plugged into the mount with the mount powered up.

Brian

xelasnave
02-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Thanks Brian
I have it powered up but nothing like we are looking for shows up.
Alex

xelasnave
02-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Hold on after I switched everything off did a restart and more fiddling I have found what we seek...
I hope my next report is positive.
Thanks again.
Alex

brisen
02-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Hope it works. I have a habit of forgetting to turn the mount on before I try to connect ant it will throw the connection error message. The first thing I check when it does is check I remembered to power on the mount.

Brian

Imme
02-08-2018, 08:13 PM
It is honestly a great feeling being able to plug in a coordinate for an object, have the mount slew to it and then platesolve/move to within a couple pixels of where you want to be.

....oh, and then there's programming an image run and walking away to let it go its thing.

Its like a symphony

xelasnave
02-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Well I openned device manager I found ref to com3.
I put that in what I thought was the box in ascom and a display has come up "ASCOM Trace" and it is cycling thru lines of info.
"Canset tracking T Tracking false its running past so fast I cant read it well.

It has been doing it for a while si hopefully its working.

It seems to be taking a long time...been running for about 20 minutes so far.
Anyways we shall see.
Alex

xelasnave
03-08-2018, 06:41 AM
Well I dont know what that did but it rang for ages.
Anyways after much confusion not withstanding excellent help I am happy to report I have mount control and now have some bushes across the road on my monitor.
I switched PHD guiding on and without actually guiding on a snail it may be ok.
So it seems I have things reasonably opperational.
Thanks again kind members as I am sure I could not done it without you and most of all your encouragement.
Thanks sincerely.
Alex

xelasnave
03-08-2018, 12:41 PM
Probably getting ahead of myself but the filter wheel has eight holes and seven filters so what to put in or not in the empty one?
Alex

Stonius
03-08-2018, 05:28 PM
IR or UV or even a solid black so you don't need to cap the scope to do darks?

Markus

Stonius
08-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Received it today on your suggestion. Looks good. Thanks for the tip, Kevin! :-)