PDA

View Full Version here: : Mars and Jupiter --small scope views

foc
23-07-2018, 10:44 PM
Hi

Some balance against the big guys

Here is a few shots I took with my ETX-105 on 22 July between 10 and 11 pm in Canberra. Using a crude mix of 2.25 barlow and 0.5 focal reducer to get the focal length up but still within the rough tracking of the go-to.

Mars seems to be getting a bit clearer :)

For me this is a nice shot of Jupiter, although probably overstretched. Almost directly under the red spot there seems to be a feature like a small oval storm following it. I found at different time intervals on Sunday night so it does not seem to be an artifact but I have not seen a small white oval follow the GRS like this before. I have added another Jupiter image to make the sequence of the almost co migrating white oval more convincing

Cheers

Foc (Ross)

Bushy69
24-07-2018, 12:55 AM
Im actually a lttle blown away with detail and clarity you caught with a relatively small scope.

Well done. Great images there.

Justin

Jeff
24-07-2018, 08:34 PM
A good result indeed …. especially Mars showing some features.
Interesting combination with the barlow and reducer.
Looks like you got the focal length just right for the seeing.
:thumbsup:

netwolf
24-07-2018, 08:46 PM
hey Ross well done thats very nice details for a 4" obstructed scope. we need a small bore challenge thread on IIS.

foc
24-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the kind comments.

When I dusted off the old ETX-105 in May to try and get my first photos I never thought I would have anything to post here or that I would record so much detail with a basic obstructed 4 inch scope in Alt Az mode. The typical quality of imagers at our Oz site is pretty daunting for casuals like myself. Still my contribution shows how good modern camera technology is now that anyone can get some half decent shots with any gear. And this small scale grab and go set up suits me in the cold winters here amid work and family life.

Cheers

Ross