PDA

View Full Version here: : Binocular collimation in Adelaide

Adam83
20-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know about affordable binocular collimation services in Adelaide? I have contacted Adelaide Optical Centre and their quote estimate (~200AUD) is equal to cost of binocular I need to get collimated ..

Regards,
Adam

Stonius
21-07-2018, 12:11 AM
Best to try it yourself. I was in a similar situation a while back. Often there are hidden collimation screws under the hand grips, or in my case, I was pulling the apart for fun looking for any interesting / useful bits and I found that one of the screws holding the prism in place was loose. Tightened it up again, BAM! Instant collimation!

It's worth a try! What have you got to lose?

M

skysurfer
21-07-2018, 12:55 AM
Right as long it is a porro bino (with the prisms, the most usual ones). When you have a roof one where it looks like it is straight-through, the roof prisms are inside and hidden for the user and you cannot DIY. OTOH, roof binos do not easily get out of collimation.

Adam83
21-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Hello,

Thanks for replies.

I have Nikon Action EX 10x50. Its sealed&filled with nitrogen. I have google around to find out how to get to prisms collimation screws (without tearing binos apart), but no luck. I realise once unsealed, there will loose their fog proof protection.

Do you have any experience with disassembly of this or similar binos?

Regards,
Adam