PDA

View Full Version here: : Feedback on entry level scope

DaveO
26-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Hi all.

A friend of mine who is interested in getting into the game has been offerred a York Optical 4.5"(?) newt for $250 on some sort of EQ mount. Seems a reasonable deal except I suspect it is an old scope and we don't know if the eyepieces are 1.25" or the old 1" yet.

I have had a look around the various supplier web sites, and see that he could pick up a Guan Sheng GS-580 (6" dob) from Andrews for $299. Any feedback on this scope?

I don't want him to waste his money but know he will have a limited budget to start. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Gama
26-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Makes a nice Guide scope, but as a scope... nope !
Get at LEAST a 6" or better off with an 8", dob.
END !
Anything smaller and you will just be so diaspointed.
Even binos are better, not to say theres no place for a scope that size, but as your main scope, you need size.
As a grab and go scope, it may do. But to see those images you want you need size.

[1ponders]
28-01-2007, 08:16 PM
He'll also regret the EQ1 mount :scared: For the price go for a Dob.

ving
29-01-2007, 02:12 PM
the dob is the better buy out of the 2. it has more aperture and will show more stuff :)

rmcpb
29-01-2007, 02:29 PM
The 6" GS dob would easily be the best option. Its funny now we think of this as small but not too long ago it was considered the mainstay of most amature astronomers.

mickoking
02-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Nothin' wrong with a 150mm Dob :thumbsup:

stephenmcnelley
02-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Photonman has it right.

The scope you are considering might not be a relative astro gear bargain compared to affordable apeture.

DaveO
05-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks all for your thoughts.

I had a conversation with my friend and convinced him that he should hold off until he had looked through a few scopes. I suspect that there is a 10" dob in his future.

janoskiss
05-02-2007, 09:03 PM
6" GSO Dob is a nice well made scope. Performs very well, and the mount is nice and sturdy. Long long way ahead of a similarly priced EQ mounted 4.5" Newt.

neB
06-02-2007, 02:16 PM
I actually have a 4.5 inch Newt on an eq mount.

It is good fun, saturn's rings and sats, jupiter is good, moon is great, M42 was quite mind blowing at the weekend. I have only been into it for 6 or so months.

Don't know about the bino comment - how big binos would you need to see Saturn's sats?

But, mine cost me $24 bucks plus flybuy points!!

Never used the EQ mount for what it is - just use it as a convoluted Dob.

$250 seems a high price for an old (2nd hand I assume) scope.

Would want to get into 1 inch eyepieces. Even it this just means an adaptor??

I'm saving up for a 6 inch plus (10 hopefully) Dob.

In a few months I'll probably sell my scope for $50-$100.

Go the Dob.

I hope this gives another perspective.