PDA

View Full Version here: : choooose my mount....

badabing82
26-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Hey there all i have a bit of a question and everybody's input would be good, thanks to Comet Mcnaught the astronomy bug has bitten me again. I currently have a 6inch f-5 achro refractor (jaegers lens) i bought this a number of years ago off a elderly gentleman who only wanted $500 for it so i snapped it up quick smart. Any way obviously it is plauged with a fair bit of CA and is no where near the quality of a apo. That being said it gives great high contrast images of dso and only starts to deteroiate around the 175-215x dependent on seeing. The question is i now would like a proper mount for it currently on a alt-az. It weights in at around 8kg's with a finderscope. I obviously would like mount able to track and hopefully goto as i would like to start using this for photo's. i will prob add another scope some time this year of better visual quality i.e. for planetary observation my prime intrest. Portability is not a great concern. anyway any comments or suggestions would be greatly accepted as at the moment i'm lost hahahaha
thanks everyone and clear sky'ssss:D:D:D:D

Gama
26-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Look at some of the EQ mounts, maybe starting with the EQ5U, get the dual axis motor option as well. If you can afford it, maybe a goto controller, EQ5 Pro. But look second hand first, and save a few bucks.
Heres a link to a supplier in your area, its the Pro model with goto http://www.btow.com.au/telescopes-celestron.shtml

ballaratdragons
27-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Bintel has both the HEQ5 and the EQ6 with Synscan V.3 on special at the moment.

I'd recommend the EQ6 only because later on you can add lots of weight.

g__day
27-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Cheapest "heavy" goto EQ scope seems to be the CG5 at Andrews for under $1,300, up from that an EQ 5 or 6 gives you increased simplicity and carrying capacity for a price.

badabing82
27-01-2007, 01:27 PM
hi everyone thanks for your replies so far it's been helpful, i'm gonna head down to btow in perth 2 check it out, at the moment it will either be a eq5 or eq6 the big question is whats the price diffrence if it isn't too large i'll mayb go with the eq6 as they say you can never be over mounted and it gives the option usin this to mount another scope when i decided to get another prob a 8-10inch newt or apo thanks everyone:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbs up::thumbsup:

ving
27-01-2007, 05:57 PM
hi :)

dont mistake the eq5 for a heq5. the later is a beefier beastie and can also come with goto :)

badabing82
31-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Jjust a quick update gonna test a eq6 out with goto and see if it's up to scratch hopefully it can do the job can;t wait thanks everyone for there good advice and pointing me in the right direction.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thum bsup: