PDA

View Full Version here: : M17 from Prossy

Slawomir
10-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Hi all,

I finally got a chance to collect SII data for the image of the Omega nebula.

About 32 hours of 3nm SII, Ha and OIII data captured with 105mm triplet and ICX814. No noise reduction has been done on Luminance.

High resolution: https://www.astrobin.com/full/355006/C/

New brighter version: https://www.astrobin.com/full/355006/D/?nc=user

And here is my previous attempt at this nebula from a few years ago:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/49475/B/?image_list_page=3&nc=

Thank you for looking!
Suavi

Retrograde
10-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Wow - very nice job Suavi. Great colour choice here. :thumbsup:

Lognic04
10-07-2018, 12:32 PM
WOW :eyepop:

multiweb
10-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Top self! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
That turned out very nice. Love the details and the colors.

SimmoW
10-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Nice and deep Suavi! Oh and a slight improvement!

strongmanmike
10-07-2018, 01:32 PM
And THAT is what a wavelength ordered emission line filter, image should look like :thumbsup:

Nice one Sushi :thumbsup:

Mike

Placidus
10-07-2018, 02:59 PM
The area to top left of the Swan proper has always intrigued and tantalized. you've managed to capture it in great detail. Perhaps that area is the Goose or the Turkey. It seems to show a very long necked bird front on.

The SII data are impressive throughout the whole image. Very well captured.

Andy01
10-07-2018, 04:03 PM
Looks great Suavi! :thumbsup:
I’m only on the iPhone but it sure pops :eyepop:
Lovely colour palette you’ve chosen too, well done!

Stonius
10-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Wow, big difference between the before and after! Nice one!

Markus

gregbradley
10-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Wow, you nailed that.

That setup is totally punching above its weight. I would expect that level of detail from a CDK17.

Greg.

Slawomir
10-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Thank you Pete. It was a tough one, for me anyway, to balance the colours.

Thank you Logan :)

Glad you like it Marc :)

Thank you Simon. It is much easier to go deeper with pretty much unobstructed and darker skies. Set up the scope in the evening and let it do its thing the whole night. Loving it! It was a real battle in my previous locations light pollution wise and with strongly restricted views on the nightsky.

Thank you Mike. Funny, a very good friend of mine also likes to call me Sushi :lol:

Thank you Mike and Trish. I'm still struggling to see the Swan, or any bird really :lol: I think with my setup getting around 10hours per channel bin 1x1 helps to highlight different regions with respect to ionised gas distribution. I also followed a very good advice from Rick from some time ago and combined the three masters into one Luminance, and it has helped a bit with the SNR.

Thank you Andy :)

Thank you Markus - I wanted to reimage this fascinating DSO for quite some time, and finally got a chance to do it again.

Thank you Greg. I believe narrowband can work quite well with relatively small apertures and even in a tropical coastal location like Proserpine. I feel where aperture really shows its advantage is RGB imaging.

Ryderscope
10-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Impressive. Nice representation of the different emission lines. I can also see the turkey neck that MnT describe :thumbsup:

atalas
10-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Excellent work Suavi:thumbsup:

Atmos
10-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Fantastic job Suavi, I love the look of your stars! It is probably my deconvolution and the like but my stars always look much harder, even after drizzling.

Slawomir
11-07-2018, 07:50 AM
Thank you Rodney. These 3nm filters are one of my best astro investments.

Glad you like it Louie.

Thank you Colin. To me stars are sacred so I do not sharpen them at all nor (mis)treat them with decon :lol: Proserpine with its tropical climate does not have the driest skies but I honestly expected much worse conditions for astro seeing-wise, and so far have been pleasantly surprised.

AstroBogan
11-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Stunning colours!

Stevec35
11-07-2018, 04:40 PM
Love it!

Steve

Slawomir
13-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Thank you Jacob and Steve.

I felt the image could have been a bit brighter so here is a new revision with a bit of an extra histogram stretch:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/355006/D/?nc=user

Thank you for looking!
Suavi

Paul Haese
14-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Highly detailed image Suavi. Everything looks really sharp and well composed. The inclusion of the other fainter nebulosity helps with the balance I think. I think I prefer the brighter version too, although I think some judicious masking to the main core area would pop the detail there.

Personally, I am not enamoured with the palette but that is dealers choice. Yes, it represents the correct emission lines but I just prefer a different look. I did a similar looking image myself years ago but never really liked it much. I still think this nebula looks best in LHaRGBOIII.

Anyway enough of my ramblings.

Slawomir
22-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Thank you Paul for your kind feedback. It was your image of this dso that got recorded in my mind; with my one and only early days very limited attempt at this nebula I wanted to redo it since I saw your image. Unlike the Tarantula, Cats Paw or Lobster that naturally lead themselves to generally pleasing tri-colour narrowband images, I found this one much more tricky to process.

RickS
30-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Looks great, Suavi!

Slawomir
30-07-2018, 07:30 PM
Thank you Rick.